Sign in to follow this  
Dockhead

Okuma Reels

I have heard from some on this forum that Okuma makes a nice rod. Anyone want to share their opinions of their reels?

I've got a couple of their lower end spinning reels, the Stratus XTS40 and XTS30.  I think they're pretty decent.  I don't have any experience with their higher end reels at all.

Not to bad mouth Okuma reels...as I have 1 of their rods...but 2 of the tackle shops in my area will Not service Okuma, or BPS reels..They wouldn't tell me why.  Just sayin..

I have one...don't remember the model. I bought for 5$59 down from $99. But anyway.

It is quite a few years old and never gave a drop of trouble. It's solid...no plasticy crap in it. Never broke a bail spring.

It's very smooth never clicks or grinds...but if you spin the handle (empty) it will not spin as long as other brands. What ever that means.

As far the shops not repairing BPS reels. At one time the parts were not avalible. They were disposable reels so to speak. I had a friend that rebuilt reels and he said they were plasticy in side and parts were not made.  Now this is going back to the late 80's early 90's.

The bps stuff now seems a little more higher end.

the VS reels are built like tanks , all aluminum construction , 13-16 bearings  ;) , a little on the heavy side but Okuma is becoming a big player in the rods and reels segement of this industry .... http://www.***.com/Okuma_VS_Spinning_Reel/descpage-OKVS.html

post-17675-130162928229_thumb.jpg