Sign in to follow this  
SissySticks

finesse jig casting rod

Looking at getting a shimano compre 6'6" Medium XF casting rod to throw 3/16 and 1/4 oz. jigs to shallow water (down to about 12 feet).  It will also do duty on light texas rigs and spinnerbaiting.  Anyone used this rod or one of shimano's MXF rods? Is it a good choice for this technique?  I have a heavier rod for bigger jigs, texas rigs, and spinnerbaits which are the only techniques I use casting tackle for, but need something with a lighter tip for these light baits. Looking to spend less than $100.

I have the same Compre for the same thing, and I think you will be real happy with it.

I recently bought a Wright & McGill Skeet Reese rod for throwing swim jigs and finesse spinnerbaits. I didnt have any interest in this rod since it is yellow. But after handling the rod, it had everything i wanted in a swim jig rod. It is 6 foot 8 inches, has a solid backbone and a very fast tip,extremely light, and a lifetime warranty. Im pretty sure i will even do some small plastics texas rigging with this rod also.

I have the Crucial MXF Spinning rod.  It is nice with baits it its range of 1/8 to 3/8 oz.  However, I would not go much higher in lure weight.   If the compre is similar in power & action, you should be fine with 1/4 jigs.  However, you'd be pushing it over 3/8 oz, especially if you have a bulky trailer.

Take a look at the Falcon Lowrider XG Eakins Jig Special.  It is a 6'10" rod designed by Mike McClelland.  I have one of these and it is just plain awesome for jigs.  I don't throw any jigs over 1/2 oz. so I can't comment on heavier lures, but this is my absolute favorite rod I own.

What kind of tip action does the Lowrider have and I heard that rod is more of a medium power than a heavy power is that right?

I've got one of that model too.  I forget why I originally bought it, I think I just wanted it.  The majority of the time I have a wacky rigged senko on it.  I feel like the slightly lighter tip gives me more distance pitching.  I like it.