Sign in to follow this  
reelboy57

BAITCASTING REELS

I posted this one because i need two reels so one of them needs to be a lightweight baitcasting reel

If you were going to buy 5 reels would you have started 5 separate threads on each one?   :;)

I posted this one because i need two reels so one of them needs to be a lightweight baitcasting reel

If you were going to buy 5 reels would you have started 5 separate threads on each one? :;)

The Revo S and Citica would be my choices, they can both do the job. I have one of each, both throw lightweight lures pretty well.

Having said that, you need to consider the rod and the line in this equation as well. Lighter lures do better with a rod that will load up some.

And I am able to throw further with braid as opposed to a heavier mono.

It has been my experience that it is best to have separate threads for each question. If you ask more than one in a thread, often the first reply will deal with only one question. Then following replies comment on that question ignoring any other question you might have asked.

You should have titled your threads differently...such as

What is the best all-around reel for $120 or less?

and

What is the best ultralight reel for $120 or less.

Not everyone ultralight fishes. Some can't afford a specific rod and reel for every application (I can't), and therefore need equipment that will function satisfactorily when used for several applications.

That way ultralight fisherman will open your thread on ultralight reels, while the guy using one reel for everything will answer the other thread.

Some of us have limited funds. A $450 reel would be great, but I will have to make do with one costing $300 or more less than that.

Please give us newbies a break. No need to make fun of him. It doesn't take any longer to give a courteous answer. Be 8-)

I do agree the OPs titles shouldn't have been the same for both posts. Confusing.

reelboy, I find that people are very willing to help if given a chance. Don't become discouraged over this thread. Be a little more specific in your titles.

As far as the ultralight reel, what do you consider ultralight? I asked the same question recently on a couple forums. Here's the link to one of them.

http://www.tackletour.net/TTForums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=47974

I also asked about ultralight rods. One gentleman who replied mentioned that fishing anything below 1/8 oz. was going to be costly. Both for the reel AND the rod. He then proceeded to give me a few reel suggestions for that range of lures.

I fish jigs down to 1/8 ounce with a BPS ultra light reel and a 6'6" rod in M L and 10# line. The rod will be at least as important as the reel.

Find a used Shimano Curado 100d. These work great for light lures, but they don't make the 100-series now. Only place to get them is eBay, and they're readily available.

Other than that, a Shimano Citica may toss light lures well. The Revo S wouldn't be a good choice, it's better for heavy stuff.

I think simply editing your first thread would have sufficed enough to get the point across.

It has been my experience that it is best to have separate threads for each question. If you ask more than one in a thread, often the first reply will deal with only one question. Then following replies comment on that question ignoring any other question you might have asked.

You should have titled your threads differently...such as

What is the best all-around reel for $120 or less?

and

What is the best ultralight reel for $120 or less.

Not everyone ultralight fishes. Some can't afford a specific rod and reel for every application (I can't), and therefore need equipment that will function satisfactorily when used for several applications.

That way ultralight fisherman will open your thread on ultralight reels, while the guy using one reel for everything will answer the other thread.

Some of us have limited funds. A $450 reel would be great, but I will have to make do with one costing $300 or more less than that.

Please give us newbies a break. No need to make fun of him. It doesn't take any longer to give a courteous answer. Be 8-)

I do agree the OPs titles shouldn't have been the same for both posts. Confusing.

reelboy, I find that people are very willing to help if given a chance. Don't become discouraged over this thread. Be a little more specific in your titles.

As far as the ultralight reel, what do you consider ultralight? I asked the same question recently on a couple forums. Here's the link to one of them.

http://www.tackletour.net/TTForums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=47974

I also asked about ultralight rods. One gentleman who replied mentioned that fishing anything below 1/8 oz. was going to be costly. Both for the reel AND the rod. He then proceeded to give me a few reel suggestions for that range of lures.

Very well said.