Sign in to follow this  
INbassMAN

Lure weight recommendation on rods

How important is it to match the lure weight with the weight that is written on the rod?

I just bought a 7' MH/F Vendetta that I plan on using for worm and jig fishing. I rigged it with 30lb braid.

I started to put on a 1/4 oz jig and I noticed on the rod that it said it was for 1/2-3/4 oz lures.

I ended up putting the jig on a med action rod rigged with 10ib Yo-Zuri. I probably wont be fishing much heavy cover with it, maybe some lay down trees.

What would happen if I put a lure on that is over OR under the recommmended weight that is on the rod? 1/2-3/4 oz for that Vendetta isn't a very wide window for lures that I can use.

What do you think about having a jig on a med action rod?

Thanks.

Going to light the rod won't load properly and casting will very difficult if not next to impossible.

Going to heavy puts you at risk of snapping the rod during casting.

While the lure weight disignation is not set in stone I wouldn't go to much over or under.

I have a 7' M-XF rod that I use for light jigs and t-rigs. It works very well.

I would try the lighter jig on your MH rod. With the weight of the trailer you may find it works fine. For flipping or pitching, I think it will do a good job. As mentioned, it will effect casting. I would give it a shot. It won't hurt anything. Good luck.

They are "recommendations", not limitations, and in alot of cases very general. Yes, there will be some casting distance issues with light lures on heavy rods, but alot of it has to do with the rod tip stiffness. As has been mentioned, no harm whatsoever in tying your 1/4 oz jig on the new rod.

Good fishin' !!!

Thats good stuff. I didn't think about the extra weight from the trailor. Thanks for the info. I'll probably put the jig back on my vendetta and maybe use the other rod for a lipless crankbait. First outing TOMORROW!!! I wont be able to sleep tonight.