Sign in to follow this  
Ken Blevins

fly rod -spinning reel

I thought I wanted to try  fly fishing so I built me a 5 wt- 9 ft rod.After 1 year of trying [w/o any sucess] I am giving up .. So has any one tried to use a spinning reel on a fly rod? .Just a thought , but seems like it would be a lot of fun  for catching bluegills or even bass.If any one has any helpfull hints feel free to chime in

thanks

Ken

I have. I simply replaced the tip-top guide with a ceramic. I tape (vinyl) the reel to the cork. Have used such a rig for trout, steelhead, and panfish; when I want a light action rod with some reach, or for float-fishing.

If you are concerned about the cork, (electrical tape can chip some off) you can use "Vet-Wrap" a friction bandage wrap you can now get at pharmacy's -not sure what it's called now.

As to the FF use for that rod. If it's the casting and control, I suggest you get a lesson or two under your belt. Fly-fishing is NOT easy -at first. Took me two years (self taught) to begin to get some semblance of control on moving water. Don't give up! Helps to find some friends that are into it too.

Good luck. ;)

It's like using a spinning rod for casting fly line- it can be done, but there are plenty of inexpensive light action spinning rods out there that are meant for that purpose.

I'll echo the response above - don't give up on the fly rod. Go and get a casting lesson or two. If I had to choose the perfect tool for catching panfish out of water shallower than 4-5 feet, it's a good fly rod set-up.

I have an old 5 wt fly rod that I sometimes put a spinning reel on in the Spring and catch bluegills and crappies with. It's a fun change of pace from using UL and L power rods, and it works really well for casting  lightly or unweighted crappie minnow because of the length and soft action. I never changed the top guide because I still fly fish with this rod for panfish occasionally.

It's a fun and unique way to fish. If you have one laying around or find one in a garage sale for $10, give it a shot.

I use a couple of 9' fly rods (8wt and 9wt) for single pole jigging for crappie out of a boat.  They are prob the greatest rods I've ever used to do this, BUT, way overpriced for the job, considering you can get nice jig rods for $40-$60 and these fly rods cost me $150 and up.  Don't really have the heart to sell them, as one was a gift, and the other has sentimental value, but since moving from the coast, I haven't been fly fishing the salt, so I figured I'd use them for something else. 

I'm sure it will turn my stomach if/when I ever bust one crappie fishing.

BC

You can fly fish for bass too...

And an 8wt would be about right for LM's...at least around here.