Sign in to follow this  
new2BC4bass

G. Loomis GL3 MBR843C rod information needed.

I assume this is going to be a good rod, but what techniques would it be used for? Found one at what seems to be a good price, but I already have 2 MH Fast 7' rods, an Airrus Ultra XL, and a Fenwick Techna AV. I don't want another MH rod if it is going to perform the same duties as one of my current rods. At least not until I fill a few more holes in my rod line up. ;D ;D

Thanks.

not trying to be negative but i would not buy a g.loomis unless its an imx or glx in my honest opinion the gl3 is overpriced.

you already have 2 mh rods so i wouldnt get it. if you did not and it was a good deal id definately snag it. anybody know how these compare to avids?

from what i have heard, avids are better.  i have never held an avid but thats what friends tell me.

I own 2 843's.  I spinning & 1 baitcaster...both in IMX.  I would get an Avid over a GL# but I would get an IMX over an Avid.  I use my MBR843 for light texas rig worms, spinnerbaits, lighter jigs.  Pretty versatile rod.

I own several IMX and GL3 rods including the one mentioned here. I have no clue why the GL3 gets a bad rap for they are excellent rods for things in which you do not need the extra sensitivity of IMX. Granted you could find cheaper for such task, such as the Quantum PT Rods of which I also love and many others, but the GL3 is a very well built rod and has the same backing from the company as there IMX or GLX rods.

Side Note:

The GL3 843 I think makes for a pretty dang good topwater rod. It may be rated as a MH but it actually feels more like a med to me. It's sister and shorter model the GL3 783 I find to be one heck of a shallow crank rod for lures such as the Big O or similar.

The GL3 845c makes for one heck of a 7ft Frog rod IMO, even though it's not listed as a frog rod. I like to use it over longer frog rods when say fishing channels or in tighter quarters in where you are not making mile long cast, although it will work for such, the longer rods are better for that.

Basically I like the GL3 for things that don't require allot of sensitivity although they are sensitive rods, just not IMX sensitive. There light enough to fish all day and strong enough to hall in the big boys. Price wise however you may find a better deal to do the same thing, but if you like Loomis rods, there good rods.

I own several IMX and GL3 rods including the one mentioned here. I have no clue why the GL3 gets a bad rap for they are excellent rods for things in which you do not need the extra sensitivity of IMX. Granted you could find cheaper for such task, such as the Quantum PT Rods of which I also love and many others, but the GL3 is a very well built rod and has the same backing from the company as there IMX or GLX rods.

Thanks for all the excellent information. Like to ask another question. What would be a fair price for a used rod in good condition?

Thanks.

i think it may be easier if you post the msrp of the rod and the price its being sold for.

gl3 is a little overpriced plus its used. if it wasnt close to 40% less than msrp id look for a used IMX instead...