Sign in to follow this  
Craiger12

Dobyns 704CB underpowered?

Got the chance to get out and fish my new Champion 704CB for the first time this weekend. It feels perfect when casting Pointer 78's and im sure it will cast 1/4oz and 3/8oz cranks well too. However, I was only able to catch a few small fish, anywhere from 10" - 15" and the rod felt somewhat labored. I will admit that I am not used to fishing moderate action rods and I'm sure this played a part, but I feel I would have a pretty tough time bringing in anything in the 5lb range and I don't think I would throw anything over 1/2oz on it. Has anyone else found this to be the case, or is this simply me just not being used to the slower action?

I have the 705, and even that, to someone who doesn't fish moderate action rods, could thing it is very soft. Cranking rods are meant to have a lot of give, it keeps the trebles from being ripped out of the fishes mouth.

Can't remember off hand the lure rating for the 704, but I personally don't go over 3/4oz with my 705. I'm not a huge cranking guy as it is. I know of some 6lbers personally being caught on the 704CB and have heard of a few up to 8 being caught on it. You'll be fine, but you always want to play fish with crankbaits, don't horse them in.

Probably just not used to the action of the Mod/Fast rod. You should try the Loomis CBR843; it is honestly a noodle. I think the baits you are throwing are perfect for the rod. I have the 704CB and 705CB. I throw 3/8 in cover with the 705. It has enough tip to cast them accurately and more power than the 704CB.

The 704 will be perfect for 1/5-3/8oz cranks,jerks, lipless and spinner baits. I would save anything in the 1/2 range or mid divers (6'-12')  for a MH rod such as the 705CB.

I agree that this rod feels ideal for casting 1/4oz - 3/8oz cranks and jerks, and this is exactly what I purchased the rod for, so I am very happy in that regard. I'm sure it is just the action of the rod that makes it feel underpowered. I guess it just goes to show that you can't always have everything you desire in one piece of equipment.

The 704CB and DX744 are my 3rd and 4th casting rods and I already have my eye on the 5th. Oh and yeah, it's another Dobyns.

You'll be fine, but you always want to play fish with crankbaits, don't horse them in.

Agreed.  Unless the fish is a dink, I find myself leading fish into deeper water and playing them more patiently on MM rods than with any other baitcasting setup I've used.  It took a little while to get the hang of how I need to position the boat with MM cranking sticks, because you cannot steer fish away from cover with these things.