Sign in to follow this  
aut0

taking the spinner off an old Daiwa...

I may need to give you guys pics, but I have an old daiwa reel in AMAZING shape, 20 years old or more. It has some line caught up under the spinner (not the spool, the part that spins AROUND it, I'm not sure on terminology, but I think it's called a spinner, anyways)

Anyhow, after removing the side plate and spool, it looks like I need a funny star-shaped tool maybe? There's a gear DIRECTLY behind the spinner (on the inside of the reel)

Am I missing something, or do I need the funny star-shaped tool to remove it? It almost seems like if I were to reassemble it, and hold the crank, while turning the spinner, it would come off, but I gave it a LITTLE muscle, and then said: "No, I don't want to damage it."

So if anybody knows, I'd definitely appreciate the help! I'll send pics of needed

My post count is disallowing me to post links, so if you were to go to mike's reel repair and look at the diagram for a Daiwa J1350L, it would be part 6.

For anyone interested, I didn't get it off, but I got the line out. If you take the Bail Spring and assembly off, there's a hole where the Bail Trip Lever goes... You can get a pair of hemostats or small needle-nose pliers in there and dig it out. Reel is smooth as glass now!

Haha, thanks! I'm pleased with it. Went ahead and cleaned/lubed it while I had it open.