Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

When tied correctly,how reliable is a Rapala Knot?

I have been trying new knots,and practicing the Rapala Knot.

Anyone else use this knot regularly? What kind of strength and reliability does it have?

I prefer an o-ring and palomar or improved clinch knot, but have used the rapala style loop knot without issue. (when tied correctly)

I rarely use it, but I've never had a problem with it.

No issues here, when tied correctly. I allways grab the lure and line and jerk a couple times to make sure the knot is set properly.

It's a good knot and great for cranks/jerkbaits. Sometimes I've actually had the knot come clear out of the split ring on X - Raps though. That is constantly a concern.

That's the knot I always use on my Pop-R's and have never had the knot fail. This is with 10 lb Yo zuri hybrid ultra soft.

Very reliable I'd say.  I use a different loop knot now, but only because it's a little quicker to tie on the water.  That said, I used the Rapala knot for every topwater, jerkbait (soft and hard), crankbait, and basically every lure that wasn't a weighted t-rigged worm for most of the years I've been fishing.  As long as it's tied correctly (like any knot) I have 100% confidence in it.

I used to use the rapala knot all the time on my cranks and jerkbaits.  I have since switched to a palomar mainly because it's just easier and quicker to tie.  Never had a problem, though, using the rapala knot.

It's not as strong as some other knots, so it will be the weak link. Nothing wrong with it though.

If you're going to be using it, take the split rings off your baits, and tie right to the bait. The loose loop knot will find the gap in the split ring every time, and the line will be cut right there.

To sorta echo Ghoti, it's best used for tieing directly to the eye on topwaters and shallow divers like the Floating Minnow. Be sure to coat it in saliva (spit) before cinching it up.

Like I originally posted,I have been practicing it,and practice it you must. I

was having a great amount of success tying it at random when practicing tying it,but when it came to tying a lure on with it,it kept breaking,I tried it several times and finally got it to where it wouldnt break.