Sign in to follow this  
MAMan

First baitcaster?

Hello, I am looking to buy a baitcaster setup for using in my kayak and from shore. I was thinking an abu black max reel. I'm questioning what size rod to buy. Thought about 6' because of the kayak I like shorter, or would a 6'6 be a better choice. I'm looking for something heavier than my 6'6 mf spinning combo. Any suggestions? Looking for all around use, no real one particular lure style.

Thanks

I fish out of a light, inflatable kayak quite frequently.  I need to carry it some pretty decent distances to get where I fish so I wanted something light.  I prefer a shorter rod when Im in the kayak, only because of the space and casting limitations.  The largest one I carry is 6'3", medium.  Thats just my presonal preference.

I also have a black max.  It was my first introduction into the baitcast world.  Its ok but is definitely a classic case of getting what you pay for.  If you are just purchasing one to see if you like the baitcast feel and function - go for it.  Its relatively short money if you dont like it.  I just purchased an Abu Garcia Revo SX as an upgrade over the black max.  They are not even comparable.

I've been fishing out of a kayak for years and mostly use the same rods I use from a boat or shore.  The exception being reaction-type baits, mainly jerkbaits or walk-the-dog topwaters, because a longer rod is more cumbersome to twitch out to the side instead of down like in a boat.  For those I like a 6'3" to 6'6" rod in M to MH.  It's really up to your personal preference depending on the fishing you do most.  If you aren't fishing around heavy vegetation or trees/brush, then a M bc setup might be all you need.  Otherwise, the common All-around bc seems to be 6'6" mh.

As for a reel, I have an abu silver max, which is a small step up from the black max and it's been an ok reel, but can't hold a candle to my better bc's.  My honest opinion is that if you really want to get into BC usage, save a little more and buy a reel that will treat you better.  It may cost twice as much as the black max, but there are plenty of reels in $100-130 range (still cheap for a bc) that would give you a much better introduction to baitcasting and a shorter learning curve, plus if you like it, it will last you much longer.  Far too many people buy cheap bc's just to try it out, and end up thinking it's much more difficult than it really is because they bought inferior products.  You really do get what you pay for.

I found a "cheap" baitcaster a few years back at gander Mtn. I paid 79.99 for the whole setup. I have had nothing but awesome results with it. The Pflueger Echelon is an amazing reel. Its also CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP compared to say a Shimano Curado or a Abu SX.

Pflueger Echelon

Check eBay, dude. I would never pay $50 full dollars for a brand new Black Max when I could get a near $100 reel used on eBay for around $50. Find a decent baitcaster on eBay and spool it with 12lb Suffix Elite or Siege.

Pair it with a 6' M Berkley Lightning Rod.

Thanks for the replies, sounds like I should stick with shorter rod and maybe step up to a better real. I do do know when I fish in the yak now I prefer my 6' rods overall.