Sign in to follow this  

I think this is what you're looking for.  The purpose I think is for better sensitivity.  Exposed blank reel seat is where part of the rod blank is exposed through the under side of the reel seat.

reelseat-1.jpg

Don't know about others but my fingers don't touch the exposed blank on the reel seat when palming a reel, so it has no utility regarding sensitivity. But that is what the exposed blank seat is advertised to enhance. Lots of features contribute to or detract from the sensitivity of a rod. I wouldn't pass on a St Croix LE because it didn't come with an exposed blank reel seat, and I wouldn't buy a fiberglass Ugly Stick with one, expecting improved sensitivity. To me, exposed blank and skeleton reel seats are mostly useful because they reduce the overall weight of the rod - which can be good or bad on a particular rod, depending on how the rod balances in your hand. Bottom line, I don't think things are as simple as exposed blank seat = better rod.

to me , i choose a reel seat for comfort ; for the way i palm my reels . with that said , the reel seat i think is perfect for me is the Fuji ACS in the 17 size ..