Sign in to follow this  
b.wedlund

Line for Shallow Cranks

I am trying to learn to use crankbaits this year.  I am wondering what preferences you guys have for line on shallow cranks.  I used a search to see some threads about crankbaits in general.  Would the line you use be different for deep and shallow crankbaits?  In general, I use Power Pro for almost everything, but I wanted to get some opinions before spooling up a reel.  Thanks guys.

Since you're fishing shallow cranks, it's going to be a different line choice than when fishing mid-to-deep diving cranks. You're wanting to make your crankbaits run shallow, so you need a line that sinks SLOW. What sinks the slowest? Mono.

8lb if you can handle it on a Baitcaster (I'm assuming your using a baitcaster) maybe 10lb would be better. Suffix Siege or Elite. Siege is more abrasion resistant but Elite is better casting.

Depends on what you mean by shallow cranks. I like using deep diving cranks in shallow water. I dig them into the bottom and let them float up off of cover when they get in it. For this I use heavier mono for the strength and floating factor. If you like to use small shallow running cranks I would go with 10# flouro so you are sure to get some bottom/grass contact.

10-17lb SilverThread, depending which rod I hang the CB on...