Sign in to follow this  
packman

Flipping/pitching rod

Hey, I was thinking about geting a flipping/pitching rod. I was thinking about getting the shimano crucial, carrot stick, or the falcon cara. If anybody has any other suggestions please post them. I am going to put a shimano curado with 20# flurocarbon on it.

Thanks,

Packman

Powell 765, there affordable, sensitive, lightweight, and strong. Definitely check them out. :) 

My 7'6" Carrot Stix is nice for flipping, but I perfer something around the 7' range for pitching.

Powell 765 is what i use and would never change. They are some of the strongest and most sensitive rods out there! Especially for the price tag on them.

Dobyns 735 or 766 Savvy Series if you're set on that price range of rods. Also depending on the type of cover you're fishing. Both great rods, and very versatile.

Powell 765, there affordable, sensitive, lightweight, and strong. Definitely check them out. :)

really? How much does it weigh? The 766 is heavy!

The two techniques are rod specific.  I hate it when manufacturers label a rod as a 'pitch/flip'.  I suppose you could pitch with a 7'6+ rod if you were over 7' tall.

The two techniques are rod specific. I hate it when manufacturers label a rod as a 'pitch/flip'. I suppose you could pitch with a 7'6+ rod if you were over 7' tall.

It's not optimal, but I do it. Although I'm restricted in that I have to be above water level without any obstructions in front of me. You're right though, they should be separated.

The two techniques are rod specific. I hate it when manufacturers label a rod as a 'pitch/flip'. I suppose you could pitch with a 7'6+ rod if you were over 7' tall.

For both pitching/flipping, a 7' 6" should work fine for a person 6' tall and up. Like Dan said, it's not optimal for pitching for a person of average height, but it's certainly not a significant disadvantage.  IMO, the advantages of using a long rod in heavy cover outweighs the fact that it may be a few inches longer than you might find ideal, comfort-wise.   I'm 6' 3" and a 7' 3" - 7' 6" rod is just about perfect for me for pitching. I also prefer an 8 footer for flipping.

It really is much easier with a shorter rod. I use my 6'9" Zillion for short range pitching and the 7'6" flipping stick for longer pitching at times when I'm likely to also be casting the jig.

I'm 5'10-ish , I pitch with a 7'9 and 8ft rod with ease, I throw these two rods more than anything else year round and the longer rods help a ton with pitching. You can pitch further, for me it's far more accurate.

Granted if you're in an aluminum boat it's harder then it is from shore or from a bass boat.

really? How much does it weigh? The 766 is heavy!

Powells in general are actually quite light, BUT they're very tip heavy making them feel much heavier. It's what sold me on Dobyns instead of Powell way back when. Balanced rods feel so much better.