Sign in to follow this  
LAO162

McCoy eXtreme, Xtra & Mean Green?

How does the new McCoy eXtreme. compare to the Mean Green. I haven't tried either yet, but I was very impressed with the #12 Xtra Clear. The McCoy website doesn't provide much information...

I'm looking for a new #10 line for spinning gear. So far, I've been very pleased with #10 Gamma, but it's getting more difficult to find (and afford :) )

Thanks

P.S. the system doesn't like McCoy's spelling of eXtreme :(

don't know anything about McCoy's lines but i will suggest a very good line that is very smooth , doesn't have hardly any memory , very strong , and is not expensive = Izorline XXX !! i use 10 lb. and 12 lb. on my baitcaster and love the stuff . and like you , i haven't been able to afford the Gamma co-poly , so i have been using the Izorline XXX on my swimbait setups in 25 lb. and will not use any other line !!! :)

post-17675-130162928546_thumb.jpg

I am extremely pleased with their mean green(10#).Have used it for three years and have found it to be very strong and dependable

Bass-Brat, was the Mean Green #10 on spinning gear?

Pgersumky, is there any difference between the Smoke & Clear?  I'd acutally prefer clear if it has the same characteristics and doesn't look white in the water.

Thanks

Pgersumky, is there any difference between the Smoke & Clear? I'd acutally prefer clear if it has the same characteristics and doesn't look white in the water.

Thanks

Yes , it was on spinning gear , a 2500 size reel.

Pgersumky, is there any difference between the Smoke & Clear? I'd acutally prefer clear if it has the same characteristics and doesn't look white in the water.

Thanks

Yes , it was on spinning gear , a 2500 size reel.

Thanks, I might give the mean green a shot (unless I here eXtreme is even better for spinning gear :) )

I picked up a used reel that was spooled with Mean Green and loved it.  Loved it so much I bought several new spools and changed all my reels with PowerPro to Mean Green. And then I had more break offs last year than for the entire time I used PowerPro. I know it wasn't a bad spool either, because I used 3 different tests. Very disappointed with the Mean Green. I'll be going back to PowerPro.

It doesn't seem like much people use McCoy Mean Green on this forum, but for those who use it, LOVE it and I'm one of those guys who will use nothing else for mono.

I picked up a 1/4 spool of 6, 10 and 15 and they are awesome. I use the 10 on spinning and baitcasting reels. It's a very strong line with no memory at all. I had the 6 and 10 sitting on my spinning reels for over 6 months, took them out this last weekend and there was no memory. Impressed, I was thinking about changing the line. I'm not sure if leaving line on their for a long period will affect it's strength, but I'll find out.

@ FishCat

You are comparing Mean Green Mono to PowerPro Braid :-? Can you give a little more details because I've never heard a bad review on this line. I don't know about the braid or extreme, but the mono Mean Green is a winner.

Thanks

the line i use is the "smoke" color , it works great in clear water and DOES NOT look white in the water .

Thanks, I've been debating whether I should look for a bulk spool as well as getting more filler boxed :)  I already have a bulk spool of #6, but I've found that I keep reaching for the reels that are spooled with #10.

This morning I had a snag with the McCoy #12 clear.  Wow is that stuff strong!  I was working dang hard to snap the line, and the somehow pulled my spinnerbait free.  Line showed no abraision from the rocks :(

I'm down to my last spool of #10 Gamma, so its getting close to decision time LOL

@ FishCat

You are comparing Mean Green Mono to PowerPro Braid :-? Can you give a little more details because I've never heard a bad review on this line. I don't know about the braid or extreme, but the mono Mean Green is a winner.

No dude, I was just commenting on the McCoy brand. I was using Mean Green Braid, not mono. But I've never broken 20lb PowerPro like I did on the McCoy Braid. I was using 20 & 30# on several different reels. One time, I got a bird nest and the lure went flying. :'( I lost all confidence in this brand.

@ FishCat

No dude, I was just commenting on the McCoy brand. I was using Mean Green Braid, not mono. But I've never broken 20lb PowerPro like I did on the McCoy Braid. I was using 20 & 30# on several different reels. One time, I got a bird nest and the lure went flying. :'( I lost all confidence in this brand.

using braid does not mean it will not break !! i have casted off frogs on 30 lb. power pro while getting a backlash . the thing with braid is that there is no stretch so even the shock of a 1/2 oz. frog that i was casting , broke that 30 lb. power pro like 2 lb. test !!!!

Thanks, I've been debating whether I should look for a bulk spool as well as getting more filler boxed :) I already have a bulk spool of #6, but I've found that I keep reaching for the reels that are spooled with #10.

This morning I had a snag with the McCoy #12 clear. Wow is that stuff strong! I was working dang hard to snap the line, and the somehow pulled my spinnerbait free. Line showed no abraision from the rocks :)

I'm down to my last spool of #10 Gamma, so its getting close to decision time LOL

have you tried ordering from Gammas web site ??? here is thier link - http://www.gammafishing.com/tackle-supplies.cfm?category=50

just checked thier site and when you check out , there is a 15 % off discount on the bulk spools , thier spring discount  :)  :(  :)

@ FishCat

I wanted to try the braid too, but the reviews on it aren't that great so I'll stick with PowerPro. It's not fair to judge the entire brand from just the braid experience alone when their mono is what they are known for. Give the Mean Green mono a try and you won't be disappointed.

That's funny, because all I'd ever heard about was their braid! And, I know, I shouldn't judge the whole line on one product, but I couldn't help it. It just left a bad taste in my mouth, you know?

I've really only heard great things about McCoy. If anyone's interested, they should definitely give it a test drive themselves.