Sign in to follow this  
heyitskirby

Gear ratios on baitcasters.

Can someone help me understand them or point me to a thread that explains them?

The higher the number, the faster the retrieve..also depends in the amount of line each reel take up in a given turn of the crank. Sorry, don't have a thread I can refer you to.

It represents the ratio between one complete turn of the handle to the number of times that the spool turns. The spool on a 6.4 ratio reel would complete 6.4 revolutions for every one revolution of the handle. As Hammer4 said, the higher the ratio, the faster the retrieve.

A more revealing number is the "IPT" or inches per turn (of the handle). Since spool diameters vary, not all reels with the same ratio will retrieve the same amount of line per handle turn. So, when reviewing reel specifications, the gear ratio can be a general guide but the IPT is the true indicator of retrieval speed.

The choice of reel gear ratio depends on the types of baits and fishing technique that you intend to use. Nowadays, a 6.2-6.4 range ratio is sorta an all-purpose ratio. The newer 7.1-7.3 ratio reels are called "burners" as they enable the fastest retrieve. The lower ratios, say 4.7 to 5.4, give a somewhat better mechanical advantage than the higher ratios for baits like deep-diving cranks that have a lot of drag. Older BC reels often had ratios in the "3's" - considered by many today to be toooo slow!

If you search on reel gear ratio you'll probably find lots more info on this topic, as well as people's preferences for which ratios to use for a particular technique/presentation.

Goose nailed it.  About the only place I see Inches Per Turn info is the Bass Pro Shops catalog or their website.  A good general purpose gear ratio is 6 to 6.2:1  It can be used for about anything.  Faster 7:1 gears are nice for burning a crankbait or spinnerbait in clear water.  Slower 5 to 5.3:1 gears are nice for horsing deep crankbaits.  Getting one or two reels?  6.2:1

I'm one of those people who just went with a 6.x to 1 and it fast replaced my 25 year old spinning reel that was something like 4 to 1. The ratio of the newer one makes fishing far more enjoyable for me and I don't need to feel like I have to crank my arm off just to retrieve a top water lure.

I'll mostly end up using it for spinnerbaits as I pretty much only use those and soft plastics and prefer the placement of spinning reels when I'm using worms.  It would seem that I will do best with an all purpose.  Not much clear water where I fish either.  Thanks for the info.

And as far as Gloucester is concerned...thats down towards the tidewater area.  I live about 30 minutes west of Richmond.  Gloucester is an hour to an hour and a half east of Richmond.

It represents the ratio between one complete turn of the handle to the number of times that the spool turns. The spool on a 6.4 ratio reel would complete 6.4 revolutions for every one revolution of the handle. As Hammer4 said, the higher the ratio, the faster the retrieve.

A more revealing number is the "IPT" or inches per turn (of the handle). Since spool diameters vary, not all reels with the same ratio will retrieve the same amount of line per handle turn. So, when reviewing reel specifications, the gear ratio can be a general guide but the IPT is the true indicator of retrieval speed.

The choice of reel gear ratio depends on the types of baits and fishing technique that you intend to use. Nowadays, a 6.2-6.4 range ratio is sorta an all-purpose ratio. The newer 7.1-7.3 ratio reels are called "burners" as they enable the fastest retrieve. The lower ratios, say 4.7 to 5.4, give a somewhat better mechanical advantage than the higher ratios for baits like deep-diving cranks that have a lot of drag. Older BC reels often had ratios in the "3's" - considered by many today to be toooo slow!

If you search on reel gear ratio you'll probably find lots more info on this topic, as well as people's preferences for which ratios to use for a particular technique/presentation.

Nice job Goose52. That would make a good addition to the "best of " list.

Thanks K_Mac. I guess one has to understand this ratio stuff since the PQ is available in a whopping 4 different ratios... ;)

Thanks K_Mac. I guess one has to understand this ratio stuff since the PQ is available in a whopping 4 different ratios... ;)

The 29 and 26 IPT of the two faster versions are all I need. 8-) I am not a deep crankbait guy. I know they catch fish, but I fish for fun and am just not interested in a technique I don't enjoy. ;) FWIW I think the 6.4:1 at 26 IPT is the perfect general purpose ratio.