Sign in to follow this  
RussBert

Daiwa TD-Pro Spinning Reels?

Bass Pro has these on sale for $68. Felt pretty good to me, and comes with a nice spare spool. Anyone have any experiences with them?

My understanding is that the TD-Pro is based on the Exceler.  The biggest difference is probably the thicker "Air" bail.

Although I also have a Tierra, my Exceler seems to get more use because it somehow is on the rod I want to use, or is spooled with the line I need for the application.

The Exceler has great line management and offers fantastic casting distance.  The bail is a bit finicky compared to the Tierra, but it doesn't affect me.  It's a great value.

At $68 the TD-Pro gives you the Air bail for about the price of the Exceler.  I believe for about a week more you can still get the Cabela's Tournament ZX shipped for $49.95.  I just used my ZX this morning and found it to be at least as smooth as the Tierra and found the bail to be more refined than my Exceler.  Basically, the Tournament ZX is an Exceler with one more bearing  and a white paint job (I think the TD-Pro looks much better ;)

Any of these reels will probably offer super performance for the price point. 

After this morning, I don't feel as though I took the "cheap" route by not spending the excess for another Tierra.

Leon

Hello RussBert, I'm one state over in Rhode Island.

Anyway, I've had a few of these TD-Pro reels and for that kind of money I would buy a few.

I can confidently say, they are one of the finest spinning reels I've ever used in 4 decades of Bassin'.  Everything about them is solid-state and rugged.

Drag is very smooth.Casts a looong way also. I never get bird's nests.

I use either Power Pro 30 with a 8Lb. flouro leader or Seaguar Invisx 8Lb.

Prior to that in 09 or 08 I used Yo-Zuri 6 or 8Lb. Hybrid. Never a problem I can think of.

I say go for it.

hookset on 3 ;)

I have 4 of them....at $69 dollars they are a lot of reel for the money. I have about 5 Tierras and these reels feel surprisingly close in performance. I like the Daiwa Twist Buster better than other brands line management features to prevent twist. Air Bail is great too. Tierra has a sealed drag, but that's not too important to me. For the money, I think they are great.

Any of these reels will probably offer super performance for the price point. 

Leon

Hello RussBert, I'm one state over in Rhode Island.

Anyway, I've had a few of these TD-Pro reels and for that kind of money I would buy a few.

I can confidently say, they are one of the finest spinning reels I've ever used in 4 decades of Bassin'. Everything about them is solid-state and rugged.

Drag is very smooth.Casts a looong way also. I never get bird's nests.

I use either Power Pro 30 with a 8Lb. flouro leader or Seaguar Invisx 8Lb.

Prior to that in 09 or 08 I used Yo-Zuri 6 or 8Lb. Hybrid. Never a problem I can think of.

I say go for it.

hookset on 3 ;)

You guys pushed me over the edge. I drove out to Bass Pro-Foxboro (again!) and picked up a 2500 and spooled it with some 8# P-Line CX.

Now you got me thinking that I should've got 2 reels!   8-)

The Bait Monkey is just around the corner. He'll be there shortly.

hehehe! :-?

I have no doubts you will enjoy it (them???)    ;)

I love daiwa but these are junk. Bought one last summer at BPS and it started falling apart within a few months. The handle design is the worst ever. The screw that holds the rubber part of the handle in place backs out for no reason. If all you do is shore fish then it wll last. But if you are out on a boat in rough conditions and its takin a beating on the deck or in the rod locker then it wont last at all. Also Daiwa uses some cheap plastic spacers in the handle itself. They do break often. My sol spinning reel had it break after only 4 months use. I love the way daiwa spinning reels feel and work but that handle design needs to be up to par with shimanos. I would look at a shimano symetre for the price range you are in. Much better reel. Also keep in mind the td pro is made for BPS and the employees there wll tell you how great it is and how you should buy it over a symetre, total BS.

Steve, what are these plastic handle spacers you speak of? I've opened up the reel and had a look inside. Part # 65?

I can't find the TD-P schematic online, but here's a link to the Exceler, which has the exact same handle configuration.

3 very positive reviews.

1 very negative review.

Seeing as I have the reel now I'll just use it and hope for the best.   8-)

I've fished the TD-Pro twice now, and I'm very happy with it. I'll be getting another later this week ;)

Don't you think it would be wise to wait awhile before you buy more , two times using it is not proof that it is a quality reel.

I've fished the TD-Pro twice now, and I'm very happy with it. I'll be getting another later this week ;)

Don't you think it would be wise to wait awhile before you buy more , two times using it is not proof that it is a quality reel.

It's a $70 clearance-priced fishing reel and won't be around for too much longer. I need another spinning reel. Others are happy with them, and one guy isn't, and he's trying to sell me a different reel (maybe he has an agenda, I dunno?)

Good enough is good enough for me  8-)

It's a $70 clearance-priced fishing reel and won't be around for too much longer. I need another spinning reel. Others are happy with them, and one guy isn't, and he's trying to sell me a different reel (maybe he has an agenda, I dunno?)

Good enough is good enough for me 8-)

Have at it then and enjoy.

Have at it then and enjoy.

Will do ;)

Just got back from the local Bass Pro Shops. I went with another 2500 sized reel.