Sign in to follow this  
Mike Z

yet another leader question

ok I'm a bit confused as to leader length. I just picked up some new Power Pro braid (40lb) and want to spool it up. I'm a bit confused though as to how much leader you all put on the end to tie off your lures.

Some posts I have searched say a few inches, I guess so that you can tie off the hook easier and so you can use clear line. Some other posts I have read say they use 6' or even longer so that the line gets spooled up and the knot isn't exposed on the rod when you are bring the fish into the boat.

On my line I usually tie off a swivel or swivel hook an the attach some line and then the hook. is this the same as what you guys are doing, only I am using the swivel?

For general use, I prefer a 4 to 5' leader, but it depends on what I'm fishing. For a C Rig, I'd only use a max. of 2', for a splitshot 18" max.

I tie my leader directly to my braid, I try to keep the line diameters close, i.e. if the braid is close to say 10 or 12 lb mono..I'll go with the 12lb..I try to go as heavy as I can get away with. For flippin, ot pitchin into semi heavy cover, I go sans the leader.

Also if you tie your leader on correctly, the knot will pass easily through the guides, just easier to tie imho..

ok I'm a bit confused as to leader length. I just picked up some new Power Pro braid (40lb) and want to spool it up. I'm a bit confused though as to how much leader you all put on the end to tie off your lures.

Some posts I have searched say a few inches, I guess so that you can tie off the hook easier and so you can use clear line. Some other posts I have read say they use 6' or even longer so that the line gets spooled up and the knot isn't exposed on the rod when you are bring the fish into the boat.

On my line I usually tie off a swivel or swivel hook an the attach some line and then the hook. is this the same as what you guys are doing, only I am using the swivel?

I like a leader about 1-foot longer than the rod I'm using it on- 7' rod, about a 8-foot leader.