Sign in to follow this  
8assh0le

Dropshot hook and weight sizing.

Could someone please let me know what size hooks go with what size plastics when drop shotting and which weight size to use also. I am going to try this technique with some Wave 3.5" tiki drops. Thanks

I use a #2 owner Mosquito hook.I then use a 3/16 weight, and i love 4'' robo worms for drop shotting.

Search on here for drop shotting techniques..

After many years of drop shotting, I've settled on a size #2 Gamakatsu Split Shot/Drop Shot hook. This goes for LM or SM bass. Through trial and error, I found that size #4 is just a tad too small (but they will work sometimes) and size #1 are too large, overpowering your bait. A size #2 is a good compromise.

A general rule of thumb - if there ever could be one - would say something like, "use the largest hook you can get away with, without over powering your offering".

Now here's a most important design issue you need to consider. Compare the Gammy hook above with any other drop shot hook on the market. Look closely at the points and you will see that the Gammy's point is straight, with no curve or beaking to it.

I believe this gives you better penetration, when using a slow sweep, fast reel, type of hook set needed with the drop shotting technique. JMO.

After many years of drop shotting, I've settled on a size #2 Gamakatsu Split Shot/Drop Shot hook. This goes for LM or SM bass. Through trial and error, I found that size #4 is just a tad too small (but they will work sometimes) and size #1 are too large, overpowering your bait. A size #2 is a good compromise.

A general rule of thumb - if there ever could be one - would say something like, "use the largest hook you can get away with, without over powering your offering".

Now here's a most important design issue you need to consider. Compare the Gammy hook above with any other drop shot hook on the market. Look closely at the points and you will see that the Gammy's point is straight, with no curve or beaking to it.

I believe this gives you better penetration, when using a slow sweep, fast reel, type of hook set needed with the drop shotting technique. JMO.

Man, that was good! I have arrived at the same conclusion for hook size. The gammies are excellent hooks that I use, but I also use mosquitos in the same size. It usually comes down to which is available at the local shop.