im getting my new rod on monday and i am getting the dobyns 705glass and it seems to be a rod for deeper cranks, but i was looking at some crankbaits online and some are rated from 1/4-3/8once these are shallow running crankbaits and i was wondering how the smaller cranks "heavier" will handle on a stiffer rod?

thanks

I use my 705 Glass rod for 1/4oz crankbaits and 3/8oz ripbaits on a regular basis, in fact I never use it for anything over a 1/2oz. If you're looking for something specifically for deep crankbaits, the 765 or 805 are the go to deep cranking rods. The 705 can certainly do it all, but if you're specifically looking for just a deep cranking rod the 765 and 805 help. If you're looking for a great all around cranking and ripbait rod, then the 705 is awesome.

thanks david! ive never fished a dobyns but i do have powells which i love and from what people say there all around better. and yes it will be used for a all around cranking stick.

I throw smaller cranks, 1/4 ounce or lighter, on spinning gear with a Browning Silaflex rod, medium action, 6'6" long. Heavier cranks or deep runners call for casting gear and 10 pound test.

thanks david! ive never fished a dobyns but i do have powells which i love and from what people say there all around better. and yes it will be used for a all around cranking stick.

You'll for sure like it, it's the lightest glass rod I've ever fished. Very nice rod.