Sign in to follow this  
Mike Z

Dobyns Savvy vs Champion

OK, I'm convinced. I had a chance to hold a Dobyns Champion rod in my hand on Friday and I couldn't believe how light it felt compared to other rods I had been looking at. The size of the cork hand grip was perfect and not undersized like many others (I have big hands) The balance and feel was nice.

Anyway, the rod was a bit out of my price range at $220. I was wondering if their Savvy series rods at the lower price range also feel and balance the same way?

Hey Mike,

PM David P

He knows the Dobyns line very well.

The Savvy rods feel great, they are still very well balanced. The down side is they have quite a few less models to choose from, but if they have a model that you were looking for, then you'd be quite pleased. Of course with anything, the higher lineups are certainly a step up, but you should always go with what your budget can afford.

I have two dobyns saavy rods and judging from them, you couldn't go wrong with any of the dobyns rods.  I have compared the saavys that I have to compareable rods in the price range like the powells and kistler magnesiums and prefer the dobyns.  The Powell is pretty similar in feel and balance with a 7'H, both blow the kistler out of the water IMO.  I've felt the champions and really like them in hand, never fished one though.  If you can't afford the champion, the saavy isn't far behind and would be a great choice.

I had a chance to fish Big Rick's 7'H Savvy this weekend.  I was fishing various Texas rigged baits and I was extremely impressed with the rod.  It is light, balances really well and its pretty dang sensitive too.

The most impressive aspect of these rods is that they are the budget offerings from Dobyns.  I feel like he could have easily stuck a 200 dollar tag on these things.