Sign in to follow this  
Big Tom

Those of you with the G.Loomis CBR843C...

In which type of cranking do you feel this rod excels?  What are your favorite hard baits to throw on this?

I have a chance to own one of these for a great price and I would like some input from those who use this rod.

Thanks!

It makes a fine bandit 200 rod and works well with other smaller shallow running cranks in open water situations.  It's pretty whippy and doesn't have much backbone, which is what some guys like in a cranking stick.  A 1/4 oz trap is also fun in open water with that rod. 

Thanks for your input.

I am looking for a general purpose cranking rod.  Maybe I will be better suited with a medium heavy. 

Good for mid size cranks & it may spool you throwing a 1/4 oz. rattle trap ;D I thought it lacked sensitivity, even spooled with braid or f/c.

Thanks for your input.

I am looking for a general purpose cranking rod. Maybe I will be better suited with a medium heavy.

The Loomis CBR 845 is an outstanding general purpose cranking rod.  It's in the zone with something like a DT-10, but does great with RC 1.5's and other mid sized square bills as well.  It's obviously not the best for little bitty cranks or big deep divers, but it can handle most of what is in between.

That is the kind of answer I was looking for.  I want to get into cranking more and I own a lot of Rapala DT-10s, Bomber BD6s and so on.   

Thanks again for the input guys.

big tom, when it comes to loomis crankbait and spinnerbait rods, i recommend going one step up than what you think you want based on reading the rod description. the 843 is pretty whippy and best for small to medium-size, shallow to medium- depth cranks in open water. the 845 is much more versatile but still fishes lighter than say a dobyns 705cb.

Thanks snoopy2.  I have no idea what I will eventually settle on.  I was mostly asking about the Loomis because I can get it at a great price.

I have no idea what I will eventually end up with though.  There are a ton of options out there and I don't have the slightest clue where to really start.

loomis' expeditor service is the best, hands down. and their sensitivity is superb...however, i sold mine because i had more missed strikes on that rod (845) than i ever encountered on any other cranking rod. it sounds ridiculous but i think it is *too* sensitive and i'm back to all glass rods now for crankin'.

also, this is strictly my humble opinion so take it only for what its worth, i think you can get a good deal on an 843 because it's the 845 that everyone really wants.