This may seem like a weird question but how do hold a BC reel in your hand with a trigger rod? I palm the reel with my pinky under the trigger... is this right?

there is no right or wrong way.  It's all personal preference.  For me I like to hold with my index finger above the trigger the rest of my fingers below.  I also like to rest my thumb on the left sideplate of my reel.

hold it where it's most comfortable.  On my pistol grip, it feels best with my pointer finger on the grip...  with my rods with longer buts, I usually have my middle finger on the grip... but just hold it wherever it feels right.  I would think with your pinky there, you wouldn't get enough leverage if you needed it because you're not really holding the rod, you're more holding the reel.  Buf if it works for you, and is comfortable, go with it!

hold it where it's most comfortable. On my pistol grip, it feels best with my pointer finger on the grip... with my rods with longer buts, I usually have my middle finger on the grip... but just hold it wherever it feels right. I would think with your pinky there, you wouldn't get enough leverage if you needed it because you're not really holding the rod, you're more holding the reel. Buf if it works for you, and is comfortable, go with it!

Very True!  I know this because I do the same thing!  I hold my pinky under the trigger, hold the reel with my rod, and keep my index finger right under the line in front of the leveler.  I have had small fish almost jerk my rod out of my and like this, and I have about a 1/4' cut in my index fingers from fishing braid, but I can't change because I don't think you can get the sensitivity I can without being in contact with the line.

[movedhere] General Bass Fishing Forum [move by] five.bass.limit.

This may seem like a weird question but how do hold a BC reel in your hand with a trigger rod? I palm the reel with my pinky under the trigger... is this right?

That's how I hold it on the retrieve. Once a fish is on, I may shift my hand for better control of the rod if it's a big fish and I've got time to do so....

I put my index finger on the trigger and wrap my other fingers (and thumb on the retrieve) around the rod handle.

I put my index finger on the trigger and wrap my other fingers (and thumb on the retrieve) around the rod handle.

thats how I usually cast but like bigfish said I like having contact with the line when I'm fishing t-rig and jigs. I haven't had a fish threaten to pull the rod from my hand and I have landed at least 6 fish that went over 18 inches on my bc this year.

I will be doing lots of fishing this weekend so I'll experiment

When fishing I hold three fingers in front of the trigger and leave my pinky finger behind the trigger.

When casting, I leave my index in front of the trigger and move everything else behind.