Sign in to follow this  
OneBigMouth

Baitcaster - Too much rod flex = bad?

Lately I have been using a recent birthday gift from the lady in a St Croix Mojo Bass 6'6'' Medium Power with a BPS Pro Qual. I am noticing that it throws my LC LVR Minis way better than my Brush Hog/Senko/rubber bait and 1/4 Oz bullet weight combos. I am new to the baitcasting world and have only been using them for a little under a year now. I noticed that when I am throwing these heavier baits, the tip of the rod is flexing quite a bit. Matter of fact, it is flexing a little if I just hold the rod in the air with one of these baits on it. Am I experiencing some diminishing returns here in too much flex? I don't know how else to explain this really!

Also, I am about to be in the market for another rod as I just sold off one of my safe queen pistols. I feel that this rod is great for cranks and topwaters. What would be a weight range to look at for the heavier bait combos I mentioned above?

A medium power is fine for plastics with a 1/4 oz weight, typically... read the weight reighting on your rod, and it will tell you.  A softer rod (as long as it's appropriate)  will help casting distance significantly. 

As a general rule of thumb I like stiffer actions for plastics, jigs, and single hook slow presentations, and a more flexible rod for cranks, spinnerbaits, and topwaters. The exception to the rule is that I like a somewhat stiff rod for X - raps because it gives the lure a better action.

As a general rule of thumb I like stiffer actions for plastics, jigs, and single hook slow presentations, and a more flexible rod for cranks, spinnerbaits, and topwaters. The exception to the rule is that I like a somewhat stiff rod for X - raps because it gives the lure a better action.

Well put.

I just like a tougher rod action to really be able to set the hook in a "texas" situation  8-)

Well if it's within weight limit, I can't quite figure out why in the world my casting distance is being affected so much. I feel like it's over flexing, not sure why.

Is it possible that you have an extra fast action and it just the upper tip? look just above the reel seat and tell us your rods specs!

Power Medium, Action Fast, 10-17 lb Line, 1/4-5/8 oz bait

I have used fast action rods before for throwing these heavier rubber baits with no issues. Is there just more flex in this line of rods?

More "flex" will typically allow you to cast farther.

Are you throwing the two different kinds of baits with the same reel and line?

what pound test line?, also it could be technique. I am just adding my $.02

-gk

50lb Power Pro Braid, I have no problem casting my light crank/jerks far, but anything with some mass to it is giving me problems. I haven't been out on the water since I started this thread, maybe tonight. I'll pay more attention to my technique and see whats going on.