Sign in to follow this  
Whets Lines

2009 Abu Garcia Skeet Reese Reel Issue

Hi All,

I took advantage of a closeout price and Father's Day special and picked up a left-over 2009 SR Reel. It was under $145 and I just couldn't pass it up. These things are super light-weight and I couldn't wait to try it.

My first cast went well. Then, I took the side-plate off to modify the centrifugal brake settings. After putting it back on, the reel makes and awful screeching noise when I cast. Casting distance doesn't appear to be affected. I don't want to return the reel without asking some advise quick.

Has anyone else had an issue like this with one of your SR reels? I think it has probably sat on the shelf and may just need to have a touch of oil put on it. It feels like it is being caused by the outside of the spool touching the spool housing. Do reels, if they sit for a while, need to be touched up with lube even when they are new? I kind of assume so, but would like to hear some input. Thanks for your time.

Whets

8-)

Hi All,

I took advantage of a closeout price and Father's Day special and picked up a left-over 2009 SR Reel. It was under $145 and I just couldn't pass it up. These things are super light-weight and I couldn't wait to try it.

My first cast went well. Then, I took the side-plate off to modify the centrifugal brake settings. After putting it back on, the reel makes and awful screeching noise when I cast. Casting distance doesn't appear to be affected. I don't want to return the reel without asking some advise quick.

Has anyone else had an issue like this with one of your SR reels? I think it has probably sat on the shelf and may just need to have a touch of oil put on it. It feels like it is being caused by the outside of the spool touching the spool housing. Do reels, if they sit for a while, need to be touched up with lube even when they are new? I kind of assume so, but would like to hear some input. Thanks for your time.

Whets

8-)

I would add a drop of oil to the spool bearings. More times then not any reel will need oil when purchased new, especially if it sat on the shelf for a while

Squealing generally indicates bearing noise so a drop (1) of light oil on the races will not hurt. Since this seems to have started after having the side plate off I'd check to make sure everything is seated well. Loosening the cast control knob on the crank side gives the spool little play and you can readjust afterwords. If problems persist return or exchange it right away.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. A drop of oil here and a drop there and it is all good. This should have been common sense, but the reel was new, so I just thought I'd ask.

I think I'll just have to keep it.

Whets

8-)

Did you make sure the released centrifical brake blocks were not extended when you put the side plate back on?

At the time, I did not because this type of set up was new to me. My other Revos are Winches and they have a different set up. However, after inspecting the brake functions, I noticed how the blocks extend and that they are yellow. I did not see any yellow. It was really as if the spool was rubbing on the cover instead of free floating in the bearings. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks again.

Whets

8-)