Sign in to follow this  
I.rar

rod suggestions

so i managed to snag an abu garcia 602 spinning reel for $30 off fleabay and now i need a rod to go with it but im not sure what im missing. right now i have

6'6" L/F spinning rod

6' M/F casting

6'6" MH/F casting

i mainly fish trigs , weighted and weightless , some topwater and very few cranks and shakyheads. i will also be using this for some saltwater shore/jetty fishing. what do you guys suggest?

I would get something at least 7' long if you are doing any serious amount of shore/jetty fishing.  That length will also benefit your T-rigs, cranks (if you decide to fish them on a fast action rod) and shaky heads.  You may have a hard time walking top waters, but I think your best bet is something pretty long.  With a price range, I can be more specific.

Nice pickup on the reel.

Check out the Abu Vendetta 7-ft Medium model VTS70-5, at $79.95. I would put 10-lb on the reel. If it has a spare spool, I would put 12 lb on it for your jetty fishing.

If you need a heavier power rod, check the Vendetta MH model VTS70-6.

Good luck.

As a Florida fisherman that fishes jetties, shore and freshwater my pick would be an inshore shimano clarus, 7' med 6/15, if you think that may be a little light bump it up to the 8/17 and dedicate it strictly to saltwater.  Spending only $30 for a reel and the clarus is around $60 I see no point in using this for double duty, catch that 5 # jack or ladyfish and you will know why.

I use 15# braid, 30# leader on similar set ups and handle many fish 15-30#,

not sure on the budget. i may have to get a beater rod untill i can build up my fishing funds again. i was looking at the shimano voltaeus but then i read that they are terribly heavy. ill just have to shop around untill i find a deal.

not sure on the budget. i may have to get a beater rod untill i can build up my fishing funds again. i was looking at the shimano voltaeus but then i read that they are terribly heavy. ill just have to shop around untill i find a deal.

I have one , they do not seem too terribly heavy for a forty dollar rod.

As a Florida fisherman that fishes jetties, shore and freshwater my pick would be an inshore shimano clarus, 7' med 6/15, if you think that may be a little light bump it up to the 8/17 and dedicate it strictly to saltwater. Spending only $30 for a reel and the clarus is around $60 I see no point in using this for double duty, catch that 5 # jack or ladyfish and you will know why.

I use 15# braid, 30# leader on similar set ups and handle many fish 15-30#,

For that price point, that is the model I would lean to.

how do you like it? would the stainless guides do well with braid?

I like it but I only use it for cranks , the guides hold up well with braid , that's all I use on all my rods.

I like it but I only use it for cranks , the guides hold up well with braid , that's all I use on all my rods.

hm , i may have to pick one up.

how is the action? would you recommend it?

You don't need a better rod, clarus is ideal for your purpose, I'd go with 8/17, plenty light and sensitivity is not an issue, it's backbone.  If you want a better rod , I use hurricane redbones, about $100 ( I get them on sale) have 6 of them, one of the better inshore rods around and feels a little heavier than the clarus.  Keep it dedicated for salt and don't get anal about the equipment, the clarus is perfect.

Fishing the shore or jetties you just never know what's going to strike, 1# to sky's the limit, remember this is a casting set up, not a bait set up.

hm , i may have to pick one up.

how is the action? would you recommend it?

Mine is a fast action , heavy power 7 footer that has a lure rating of 1/2-11/4 oz. I use it to throw heavier cranks and it works well for me.