Sign in to follow this  
dixieboysles

Product Review: Rod Saver SM6-Side Mount Rod Holders

I searched up and down to find the perfect rod holders for my jon boat project.  I didnt want those ole cheap Berkely rod holders either.  Well after much searching, I found the ones i wanted.  Rod Saver SM6 rod holders.  These come in three different models: SM4, SM6, or SM8, the numbers designating how many rods they will hold.  I just needed them to hold 6.

Quality:

These are very good quality.  The actual holder is made out of marine grade rubber.  Then there is the "original" Rod Saver strap that holds them in while traveling.

Mounting:

There are 6 mounting screws holes on these.  They come with screws but I did not use them as i was going into thin wood.  I used 3/16"X1/2" rivets.  These kinda posed a problem for the rubber but nothing a few washers dont take care of.

User Friendliness:

These work GREAT for holding the rids one way.  In order to hold 6 rods they hold 3 in one direction and three in the opposite direction crisscrossing.  This is kinda tricky placing rods, but other than that, I LOVE these rodholders!

I ordered mine from Amazon.com for 17.95 shipped apiece

392103321.jpg

392103318.jpg

Good review and something I might consider but i have a ?

Will the rods stay in the holders without the strap, like say you are fishing and changing rods, do you have to restrap each time, or will they hold without strap at least until you fire up the motor?

Jeff

I think they will to an extent.  Miy rod butts did not snap in, they just sit in there.  I understand the dilemna there.  I think they will stay in place as long as your are not shakeing the boat like crazy.  now one of my rods with a thick butt holds in place well

can you post a picture of the rods in there without the strap on, so I can see for myself?

Also can you give me the length measurements so I can make sure they will mount on the side of my jon.

Jeff

Thanks alot bud!