Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Watson

Rod and reel information wanted

Hello all,

I picked up a rod and reel combo at a yard sale this past weekend for $25. I went fishing with it right after and caught two small bass back to back on the old line without a problem. Anyway, back to the point, the Rod is a 5'6" M Shimano graphite C casting rod and the reel is an old (1980s i believe) Daiwa Magforce PMA 1500R. I cleaned up and lubed the reel its pretty darn smooth the rod is in great shape no scratches or nicks and the guides are smooth. what I wanted to know is it a pretty good combo for general bass fishing and just some general information about the rig. Everything I found on the internet was less than useful, all that I could find was the same reel selling for $22 by itself in a lot worse shape. Thanks guys and gals.

Happy fishing,

Britton

Ps. If it helps with anything the reel is a Japanese made Daiwa, which nowadays are hard to find from my standpoint, unless you wanna shell out 7-800 dollars.

I would watch this video, then use it to throw spinnerbaits within the rod's rating, probably like 1/4 oz. to 1/2 or 5/8 oz. should be fine.

http://www.***.com/Sworming_Hornet_Fish_Head_Spin/descpage-SHFHS.html

First, replace that line, grab some 12 pound something...I like Trilene XL in green.  Then google "arbor knot." Spool up keeping some tension on the line and go fishing.

I would watch this video, then use it to throw spinnerbaits within the rod's rating, probably like 1/4 oz. to 1/2 or 5/8 oz. should be fine.

http://www.***.com/Sworming_Hornet_Fish_Head_Spin/descpage-SHFHS.html

First, replace that line, grab some 12 pound something...I like Trilene XL in green. Then google "arbor knot." Spool up keeping some tension on the line and go fishing.

Yea that was the first thing I did after cleaning it when I got back from fishing, had some suffix elite 14lb, left over from my main baitcaster. thanks for the comment.

on another note tho, I'm looking for more in the terms of information on if this would have been a good combo back in the day or if anyone knows anything about the rod and reel themselves.

Oh, I misinterpreted your question.  My fault. 

I do not know if your stuff used to be good or not.  Sorry about that.

Oh, I misinterpreted your question. My fault.

I do not know if your stuff used to be good or not. Sorry about that.

that's fine, any information is better than none, however since you brought it up, would a med. fast be to soft for spinnerbaits?

Depends on the cover. For open water, or slow rolling over rocks, it should be fine. If there is grass, cabbage or other veg, you may have a hard time ripping it though with that slower rod.

You may find it will hit weeds and just hang, you may not have the backbone in that rod to snap the tip and rip it through, freeing it from the vegetation. You can make almost anything work, just ask this guy.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlgBYsGGX7lI63eo2qF7hWjT7x1nRz2JDWISD94ndUpPpymUY&t=1&usg=__wbbFiLOGOkRSW3MGpabN9R24tsg

Depends on the cover. For open water, or slow rolling over rocks, it should be fine. If there is grass, cabbage or other veg, you may have a hard time ripping it though with that slower rod.

You may find it will hit weeds and just hang, you may not have the backbone in that rod to snap the tip and rip it through, freeing it from the vegetation. You can make almost anything work, just ask this guy.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlgBYsGGX7lI63eo2qF7hWjT7x1nRz2JDWISD94ndUpPpymUY&t=1&usg=__wbbFiLOGOkRSW3MGpabN9R24tsg

haha, nice, well I guess I'll just have to tie my screamin eagle on and see what happens next time I go fishing