Sign in to follow this  
The Bassinator

7' vs. 6'6" Bucoo

I want to get a cranking rod and one for jigs, worms and spinnerbaits.  The 7' or 6'6" medium bucoos seem good for cranking and the 7' or 6'6" medium heavy bucoos seem good for the jigs and stuff.  I'm just wondering which length to get.

I assume you talk about casting rather than spinning...

Based only on the rod specs and looking at all options in the Bucoo lineup, as I have not fished them, in a perfect world, you would get three rods, in my opinion.

For cranking I would go with the "Gulf Cranker" BCC-4-176

Here is why:

7'6" IMO longer is better, and a wider lure weight range than the 7' model. 1/4-3/4 oz. instead of 1/4-1/2 oz.

For Jigs and worms, also C-Rigs a good compromise would be the "Pitchin Stick" BCC-6-1610 6'10" 1/4 oz. to 3/4 oz.

For Spinnerbaits, BCC-5-166, the website does not give a cool name for this, but it is your basic, 6'6" 1/4 to 3/4 oz. stick.

***You can absolutely get away with using either of the last two rods for just about anything. I think the longer rod is preferable in most cases. If you are getting two, I would go with the first two I mentioned, and give the "Pitchin Stick" double triple or quadruple duty and throw trebles on the "Gulf Cranker."***

Also note Falcon seems to mislabel power as action, and neglects to label the action at all. This is a whole 'nother discussion, (not exclusive to Falcon) and one of a lot of controversy especially among guys who build rods. I would assume since they have labeled the intended technique, that the actions would be appropriate for each technique they are stated to cover.

Here is a ton of info about action and power that is an interesting read.

http://www.common-cents.info/part1.pdf'>http://www.common-cents.info/part1.pdf

Here are more resources...

http://www.common-cents.info/

All else being equal, a longer rod will cast further and a shorter rod will be more accurate. A longer crank-bait rod allows the bait to reach maximum depth and stay in the strike zone longer.

Thanks for that great breakdown Nine Miler! My indecision basically stems from storage and castability.  I want a longer rod that will afford me more distance on the cast but one that I could also maneuver in and around obstacles since I fish from the bank a lot.  Although I like your suggestions a lot I'm thinking about getting the 7' M and MH since I can use the M for cranking, smaller spinnerbaits, lighter plastics, etc. and the MH for jigs, bigger plastics, bigger spinnerbaits, light flipping and pitching.  I already have a 6'6" medium rod for shorter more accurate casts like around boat docks but I'll probably upgrade to a Bucoo soon since it was just part of a cheap but nice combo.  I was also thinking about getting a flippin stick in the future but not right now since I dont have a lot of heavy cover like mats or big laydowns where I fish.  Thanks for those links by the way very interesting :(

It sounds like you already have your mind made up, and that is fine.  Fishing is all about what is best for YOU.  I gave some advice based on the specifics of the rods and techniques, but there are always different variables for everyone, take those into account and fine tune the recommendations to fit your needs.  :(

Good luck!

Bassinator, I have the 5-17 and I've used it for traps, spinnerbaits, swim jigs, buzzbaits, and sammies. It works really well for all of these applications.  However, if you are planning to use it for jigs and bigger texas rigged plastics I would suggest getting the 6-17 lizard dragger.  It will have more backbone than the 5-17.  As far as the 4-17 it will handle all of your reaction bait needs up to the 1/2 oz. rating.

Nine Miler I think in the future I'll look at the Gulf Cranker.  I may be wrong but it seems like it would be a good deep crankin rod.  Also do you know if the Bucoos are correct on their power ratings like would a Medium Heavy power rod really be a Medium power? I seem to have heard this before but I'm not sure.

Bowfish12, is the 6-17 really a heavy power rod or a medium heavy?  Also I wanted to be able to use finesse jigs in the 1/4 oz size so the 5-17 seems like it could be better for my needs but when I get a flippin stick I'll probably get the 6-17 :(

Bassinator, I have no idea about Falcon's ratings for power and action ratings.  In fact there is no standard in the entire industry. 

This is precisely why I provided the Common Sense System links.  Using that method you can make objective comparisons between rods from different manufacturers. 

Nine Miler, I know that not everyones rods have the same ratings just like a 2/0 gammy isnt the same size as a 2/0 mustad or owner I just though I remember hearing that overall the Bucoos might be a little lighter in the specified power ratings than your average rod (whatever that might be) thanks for all the help though I appreciate it :(

Thanks for that great breakdown Nine Miler! My indecision basically stems from storage and castability. I want a longer rod that will afford me more distance on the cast but one that I could also maneuver in and around obstacles since I fish from the bank a lot. Although I like your suggestions a lot I'm thinking about getting the 7' M and MH since I can use the M for cranking, smaller spinnerbaits, lighter plastics, etc. and the MH for jigs, bigger plastics, bigger spinnerbaits, light flipping and pitching. I already have a 6'6" medium rod for shorter more accurate casts like around boat docks but I'll probably upgrade to a Bucoo soon since it was just part of a cheap but nice combo. I was also thinking about getting a flippin stick in the future but not right now since I dont have a lot of heavy cover like mats or big laydowns where I fish. Thanks for those links by the way very interesting :(

The falcon 7'MH is MH but it has a moderate Taper made for lipless cranks it should not be used for jigs you will need to buy the 7"H for jigs or buy both like I did love them and the 7 MH makes a great medium crank rod

Bowfish12, is the 6-17 really a heavy power rod or a medium heavy? Also I wanted to be able to use finesse jigs in the 1/4 oz size so the 5-17 seems like it could be better for my needs but when I get a flippin stick I'll probably get the 6-17 :(

Yes the 6-17 is a heavy rod, but sort of on the lighter side. What I mean is it will have a more moderate taper than a 7 power rod. If you look at the 5-1610 and 6-1610 you will get what I'm saying. Both are MH rods, but have a different power rating. The 5 would be better suited for light jigs and finesse baits. The 6 better for pitchin and bigger plastics and jigs.

All of the bucoo's have somewhat of a moderate to moderate fast action. You don't get a better variety until you move up to the lowriders as far as action.

The gulf caster is a very good deep cranking rod, but can also be used for just about any cranking you would want to do. The 6-17 is a good rod for texas rigged, c-rig, smaller swimbaits, etc. The 5-17 is good for everything I said in another post. You could get away with throwing smaller jigs with it, but any jig, etc. closer to 1/2 oz would be better suited on a different rod.

Bowfish12, is the 6-17 really a heavy power rod or a medium heavy? Also I wanted to be able to use finesse jigs in the 1/4 oz size so the 5-17 seems like it could be better for my needs but when I get a flippin stick I'll probably get the 6-17 :(

Yes the 6-17 is a heavy rod, but sort of on the lighter side. What I mean is it will have a more moderate taper than a 7 power rod. If you look at the 5-1610 and 6-1610 you will get what I'm saying. Both are MH rods, but have a different power rating.

Bowfish, the taper has nothing to do with heavy, medium heavy or light.  To characterize the 6-17 as lighter than the 7 power rod because the taper is less aggressive on the 6 is incorrect.  If you meant to imply something else entirely, I am sorry.  What I gather is one of a few things...

Either you are claiming (1) the 6 power rod is not as powerful as the other rod, irrespective of the action (maybe you just misstated?) (2) The 6 power rod has a more moderate taper than the 7 power rod, making it less appealing for jigs, or (3) some combination of the two. 

Please remember there are many rods that have a very fast (aggressively tapered from butt to tip) taper and are quite light (or not very powerful) and the converse is also true.  There are a ton of rods that are quite powerful, but have a slow, or less aggressive taper from butt to tip, like are used offshore for tuna and other pelagic species.

Bowfish12, is the 6-17 really a heavy power rod or a medium heavy? Also I wanted to be able to use finesse jigs in the 1/4 oz size so the 5-17 seems like it could be better for my needs but when I get a flippin stick I'll probably get the 6-17 :)

Yes the 6-17 is a heavy rod, but sort of on the lighter side. What I mean is it will have a more moderate taper than a 7 power rod. If you look at the 5-1610 and 6-1610 you will get what I'm saying. Both are MH rods, but have a different power rating.

Bowfish, the taper has nothing to do with heavy, medium heavy or light. To characterize the 6-17 as lighter than the 7 power rod because the taper is less aggressive on the 6 is incorrect. If you meant to imply something else entirely, I am sorry. What I gather is one of a few things...

Either you are claiming (1) the 6 power rod is not as powerful as the other rod, irrespective of the action (maybe you just misstated?) (2) The 6 power rod has a more moderate taper than the 7 power rod, making it less appealing for jigs, or (3) some combination of the two.

It's a combination of the two, when I meant light, I didn't mean it in a way that it has to do with the taper. I meant it in a way that the 7 power is a more true H rod than the 6 power. Same way with the 5 and 6 power MH rods.  The taper was totally different. The "trap caster" rod (5-17) has a moderate action compared to the 6-17. That's why I suggested the 6-17 for bigger plastics and jigs opposed to the 5.  Sorry for the confusion. :(