Sign in to follow this  
fishingkidPA

questions about my line

im new to baitcasters and i have a question. it seems when ever i use a plastic my line doesnt rap around the reel very tight, which makes the line easer to dig into the spool because baitcasting reels have a horizontal spool, this never happens when im using a rapala or a spinner because there is always resistance on the line when retrieving so it stays nice and tight. help!!!

What line are you using?

12lb fluorocarbon

Its just the nature of the beast.

If you want when reeling in you can grasp the line between your fingers but that just is not comfortable or productive.

If you want use a heavier weight.

im new to baitcasters and i have a question. it seems when ever i use a plastic my line doesnt rap around the reel very tight, which makes the line easer to dig into the spool because baitcasting reels have a horizontal spool, this never happens when im using a rapala or a spinner because there is always resistance on the line when retrieving so it stays nice and tight. help!!!

I have to agree with bassclary...this is the nature of the beast with alot of fluorocarbons. Get some Ardent Line Butter(line conditioner) and give the whole spool a good dose of it the night before going fishing or before you leave home if you can't the night before. Depends on the brand fluoro you are using to. Some you will find are totally unmanageable.

Try to remember to reel up with some tension on the line. I get mine in while hopping or bumping the lure.