Sign in to follow this  
FishinTN

Who has a Dobyns Crankbait rod?

Can't make up my mind on a rod for deep cranks. Thought about using the same rod for med and deep cranks, or just for deep cranks. Thinking of the 764cbrm or 804cb or 805cbrm. Don't know how I'd like the 8ft rod for med cranks though. I'd like to find someone locally I might could meet, to try theirs if they had one. I've never used any, and no has one on hand to even hold.

I'll check to see if any of the staffers are in your area for you to try out one of the rods.

Hands down the best deep crankbait rod is the 805 RM, there's no comparison. I have a buddy that uses it for medium cranks, as well as spooks, spinnerbaits, and chatterbaits. It's one hell of a rod, however if you plan to throw medium cranks more then DDs, the 764RM is a great rod too. It doesn't handle the DDs quite as well though.

I have the 805 RM,  764RM and a 765 Glass CB. If I was to pick one, I'd figure what will I throw more, if the answer is Deep Divers, go 805, if it's medium divers go 764, and if it's 50/50 I'd personally take the 805. It just makes life much easier throwing deep cranks.

I'll check to see if any of the staffers are in your area for you to try out one of the rods.

Hands down the best deep crankbait rod is the 805 RM, there's no comparison. I have a buddy that uses it for medium cranks, as well as spooks, spinnerbaits, and chatterbaits. It's one hell of a rod, however if you plan to throw medium cranks more then DDs, the 764RM is a great rod too. It doesn't handle the DDs quite as well though.

I have the 805 RM, 764RM and a 765 Glass CB. If I was to pick one, I'd figure what will I throw more, if the answer is Deep Divers, go 805, if it's medium divers go 764, and if it's 50/50 I'd personally take the 805. It just makes life much easier throwing deep cranks.

So what are you using the 765 Glass for? I'm pretty set on picking one up for deep cranking next season.

I have the 805 RM, 764RM and a 765 Glass CB. If I was to pick one, I'd figure what will I throw more, if the answer is Deep Divers, go 805, if it's medium divers go 764, and if it's 50/50 I'd personally take the 805. It just makes life much easier throwing deep cranks.

So what are you using the 765 Glass for? I'm pretty set on picking one up for deep cranking next season.

The 765 CB Glass has become my favorite Spinnerbait/Chatterbait rod. It has greatly increased my hook up ratio as there's no fear of pulling the bait away from the fish too quick (I use braid for both these applications).

I do however still use my 765 to double as a deep cranking rod when needed. The RM rods I've noticed a little better land ratio, it's a bit stiffer enabling you to get the hooks in better when fishing cranks deep.

I also love how light the 764 and 805 rods are, the glass one although very light for a glass rod, is a bit heavier.

Any word on some crankin' sticks in the Savvy series?

Haven't heard anything about one being in the works. That's not to say it's not, but I just haven't personally heard anything. Sorry.

Thanks David, I wanted to get away with 1 rod for med/ and deeps (probably 50/50 use), but I may go with my 7ft rod for shallow/med. and go with 1 rod for deeps.

On another note, my wife likes her skeet glass for her cranks. They are heavy though, so how does the dobyns compare to the skeet, or other rods like the excel glass, or KVD if ya can. I've held the 7'10" kvd and for such a big glass rod it is fairly light. She only nneds a 7' model though.

Thanks David, I wanted to get away with 1 rod for med/ and deeps (probably 50/50 use), but I may go with my 7ft rod for shallow/med. and go with 1 rod for deeps.

On another note, my wife likes her skeet glass for her cranks. They are heavy though, so how does the dobyns compare to the skeet, or other rods like the excel glass, or KVD if ya can. I've held the 7'10" kvd and for such a big glass rod it is fairly light. She only nneds a 7' model though.

The Shallow/Medium rod then a separate rod for deep cranking sounds best, and is pretty much how I have my rods worked out too.

I haven't personally held the KVD rods at all, and only held 1-2 different models of Excels (none of which were cranking rods), so the only one I can comment on is the other rod that I've held and fished which is Skeets cranking rod. I've used both his old Lamiglass ones, as well as holding the newer ones from W&M.

The Dobyns Glass rods feel far lighter, I don't have exact weights, nor would it matter much, as regardless of what they weigh on a scale, the Dobyns rods are balanced perfectly. The first few times I picked up the Dobyns rods in the stores, I didn't even realize they were glass until I actually read the label.

I throw my ripbaits on a 705 Glass, and work the bait very fast, and rip them hard, I can do it all day without effort. Where as I've tried to do it with my buddies old Lamiglass skeet rods, and it tires me out.

Once again, Thanks David for the input.

Any word on some crankin' sticks in the Savvy series?

Haven't heard anything about one being in the works. That's not to say it's not, but I just haven't personally heard anything. Sorry.

No sweat.  Thanks for the reply.  If they were to release these, I know I'd buy one.

It only makes sense for them to release a crankin' sub-series in the Savvy lineup.  If not, Powell for the win.