Sign in to follow this  
Goose52

BPS Reel Parts - Outdoor World Rod & Reel Repair

Just a thumbs up for good, efficient service.

I lost the cast control cap on one of my BPS PQ BC reels (the way I palm a reel, my thumb often curls over the reel and thumbs the cap loose). Got on the phone to Outdoor World Rod & Reel Repair, gave the reel model model number to the nice lady, heard the clicking of computer keys as she called up the parts listing, gave her the 3 part numbers that make up the cap assembly, told her I wanted 3 sets ('cause I will lose more probably), gave the name, address, credit card info, and was done in about 3 minutes. $3.16 for each cap assembly, $4.95 shipping; $14.43 out-the-door.

This is how is should be, nothing special. But I wanted to mention that the process is slick and quick, and something different that what you usually hear about BPS reel service and parts availability. Now, will this be the case for a reel that's 10 years old? I don't know yet. But, since I have 6 PQ reels, I can always cannibalize!

So, for the BPS reel fans out there, don't forget about Outdoor World Rod & Reel Repair.

I have got a couple of orders from them as well and it's always good service and a great price!!  I just placed an order for some handles the other day.  Everytime I call asking if they sell them I get a "no...but we might be able to get you a couple out of the scrap bin" ;)

I ordered 2 of these handles (that come with comfortable knobs & bearings), 4 handle nuts, nut retainers, and retainer screws.  The total on the order came to less than $30!!

BPS in general has always given me great service.  Anytime I've had a problem with anything they take care of me.

Isn't it kind of sad when things actually go like they should and we are now surprised by that.

Isn't it kind of sad when things actually go like they should and we are now surprised by that.

I was pleased that it went so well, but was not surprised. The main reason I posted this experience is to counter the folks that continually say that you can't get parts for BPS reels, and you can't get them serviced...

You have a phone number for them?? I'd like to have it. PM me please if you can't post it outright. Thanks.

Sure - from the BPS web site:

(417) 873-5274  -  Mon.-Fri. 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (central)

Just a thumbs up for good, efficient service.

I lost the cast control cap on one of my BPS PQ BC reels (the way I palm a reel, my thumb often curls over the reel and thumbs the cap loose). Got on the phone to Outdoor World Rod & Reel Repair, gave the reel model model number to the nice lady, heard the clicking of computer keys as she called up the parts listing, gave her the 3 part numbers that make up the cap assembly, told her I wanted 3 sets ('cause I will lose more probably), gave the name, address, credit card info, and was done in about 3 minutes. $3.16 for each cap assembly, $4.95 shipping; $14.43 out-the-door.

This is how is should be, nothing special. But I wanted to mention that the process is slick and quick, and something different that what you usually hear about BPS reel service and parts availability. Now, will this be the case for a reel that's 10 years old? I don't know yet. But, since I have 6 PQ reels, I can always cannibalize!

So, for the BPS reel fans out there, don't forget about Outdoor World Rod & Reel Repair.

I don't remember her name.. Debbie maybe?  She's been with them a while and knows her stuff.  She is very helpful, will send you reel schematics even if it's for a BPS reel you're not currently ordering parts for and I've had her throw cosmetic pieces in for free if they're available and I need them.  Great gal.   

I'm lucky that I live close to the main store and the outlet store - where the rod and reel repair is located. Handy to get parts for BPS stuff.

Earlier this year I had a BPS brand rod that I managed to break the ceramic ring in the tip. I took it by and they put a new guide on the rod for the cost of the guide. I think it was under three bucks. I could have done it myself, but I would have had to match the guide type, order it, wait, etc. Easier and cheaper in the end to just go by there.

The main reason I posted this experience is to counter the folks that continually say that you can't get parts for BPS reels, and you can't get them serviced...

i've ordered parts from them numerous times and everyone i've ever dealt with was friendly and helpful and the service, prices and shipping times are very good.

however, the fact of the matter is, they don't carry spare parts for BPS reels for length of time that some of the mainline reel companies do. my most recent example is the prolite finesse reels...the only spare parts i could get are pulled off donor reels, if they have any. even the most-recent C version, they never got in parts for that version before it was discontinued. they're still struggling to get parts for the carbonlite which has been out since last december and are pulling parts they need off of returned reels.

The main reason I posted this experience is to counter the folks that continually say that you can't get parts for BPS reels, and you can't get them serviced...

i've ordered parts from them numerous times and everyone i've ever dealt with was friendly and helpful and the service, prices and shipping times are very good.

however, the fact of the matter is, they don't carry spare parts for BPS reels for length of time that some of the mainline reel companies do. my most recent example is the prolite finesse reels...the only spare parts i could get are pulled off donor reels, if they have any. even the most-recent C version, they never got in parts for that version before it was discontinued. they're still struggling to get parts for the carbonlite which has been out since last december and are pulling parts they need off of returned reels.

Ouch - I have that last model Prolite reel and a Carbonlite. Probably too late for the Prolite, but I would hope that they get a stable parts supply for the Carbonlite - it's been a very successful reel for them.