Sign in to follow this  
ib_of_the_damned

Yo-Zuri Hybrid for Swimbaits

I was thinking about picking up a spool of the 20lb for my swimbait setup. Since Yo Zuri has a higher breaking point than the stated pound test, should I still stick with the 20lb or drop down to 15lb for line visibility purposes. By the way I will be throwing 5-7" baits that weigh 2oz. or less. Thanks!

I'm still new to swimbaiting but I've been happy throwing soft swimbaits in the 2 oz. range using 20 lb XPS Floro. The other rod I use has 20 lb mono for wake baits, Matt's Gills etc.

The 3rd rod ( Roque SB 806C for 2-10 oz baits) which I'm using next year for heavy baits like 8" Hudds, I haven't decided for sure what I'm going to use but I'm leaning toward 25 lb XPS Floro for that set-up.

Regarding Yozuri Hybrid 20 lb should be good for the baits you plan on throwing. If you are using 1 rod for these type of baits it would be versatile enough for both hard & soft baits in that size range.

I used 12lb. all summer and the break strength was incredible.  I don't normally use any bigger line than I need to.  Visibility,  managability,  castability...

If I were looking at 2 oz or less baits I would go with 20-25lb test.  I am not familiar with the yo-zuri in those line sizes but I throw Pline CXX for all of my heavy swimbaits and it's worked great for me so far.

I'm using 20# Yozuri Ultrasoft on my SS swimbaits. I've tossed baits up to 4oz. w/o any problems so far. For topwater I use 55lb braid.

I'd just use the 20 to be on the safe side. I do throw the 6" Hudds, ect on 15 now and then.

YZH is very strong line but the manageablity of the higher test lines is what keeps me from using it. Terrible memory, very springy which affects sensitivity.

Memory wont matter as much though with big swimbaits.

10lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid - 15lb breaking strength.

10lb CXX - 22lb breaking strength.

Those are some test results of 10lb line, I haven't seen any done for 20, but P-Line CXX has always been the absolute strongest for me. I wouldn't toss any swimbait on anything below 20lb.

As FBL said, memory isn't much of an issue with swimbaits, use 20 if you're staying under 2oz and if going above bump up to 25. If you're set on YoZuri stick with it, but don't downsize. CXX is definitely one of the most popular lines among the big bait fisherman out here in Cali.

Definitely don't try to skimp on swimbait fishing if you're serious about it, you'll lose the fish of a lifetime.

I was thinking about picking up a spool of the 20lb for my swimbait setup. Since Yo Zuri has a higher breaking point than the stated pound test, should I still stick with the 20lb or drop down to 15lb for line visibility purposes. By the way I will be throwing 5-7" baits that weigh 2oz. or less. Thanks!

Depends on what and where you are throwing the swimbaits, as well as which ones. For hollow bodies I use 15lb 100% flouro. Shell Crackers and OB Minnows I use 20lb fluoro or Big Game. If Im throwing a Hudd and fishing it along the bottom where there is rocks and wood I use 25lb 100% fluoro. The deciding factor is often depth I am fishing at. If I can use Big Game I do as its really good line and its not expensive.