Sign in to follow this  
Micro

Anyone own an iRod rod?

I got to handle, but not fish, a 7" medium heavy/fast rod last night.  It was very light and seemed well made.  Looks like they run about $150 at Tackle Warehouse. 

Any reviews?

I got to handle, but not fish, a 7" medium heavy/fast rod last night. It was very light and seemed well made. Looks like they run about $150 at Tackle Warehouse.

Any reviews?

I have one, Ill write it up when Im off the phone.

Cool, thanks.

First off Ill let you know that I have only fished one model. The model I fished is the Bub Tosh Punch Rod. First lets talk about the build of the rod. Its built tough, as Im sure its use has alot to do with it. Its a punch rod, meant to handle heavy 2oz weights, and pulling fish out of the thickest nastiest stuff. Its designed for fishing with 65 to 85lb braid. The rod is built tough and it is a tough rod. Im pushing that fact because it is not the lightest rod, not even close.

Second Ill talk about the action. Bub knows punching very well. He has used many different rods over the years, and this is what he has come up with. The action is perfect! There is no other rod with better action for punching then the iRod, period. I have no ties with iRod, matter of fact I have a rod sponsor and iRod is not it. When pitching and flipping a 2oz weight, this rod is awesome(its great with a 1.5 oz also). Very accurate and easy to control that heavy weight. The rod bends a long ways down the rod, its referred to as a slow medium, it is not whippy at all. The rod is meant to contol the big bait, and control big fish in heavy cover, without ripping the bait out of the fish. It does all of this very well. The action also gives you a bit more time to react to the bites, as it will bend some.

Sensitivity? Id say its fine here to. Its not the most sensitive rod, its a rod meant for throwing big baits. Typically fish crush the bait when punching, and leave little doubt. However I was able to feel the few subtle bites very easily.

So Id have to say its a great rod, and the best Punch rod Ive fished. (yes Ive fished most all of em, not the Kistler though). If you can get over the weight of the rod its a real benefit to have in ones arsenal. Just remember the iRods are technique specific, and this is a extreme heavy duty rod. I decided to keep this rod as my heavy punch rod. I use a Powell 7105 for my other punching and heavy flipping.

Neither of my rod making sponsors make a Punch rod for this heavy stuff.

I have yet to fish any of the other iRods as Im by the Cal Delta and I punch and flip alot. I am curious about them, thats just how I am. I try alot of different rods just to satisfy my curiosity. I also know that they have great customer service. Every technique specific rod was designed by a "Stick".  If their other rods are as well designed Id have to say they have a great line up.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the write up.  I'm interested in a new frog rod and they sound promising. 

Thanks for the write up. I'm interested in a new frog rod and they sound promising.

Im sure it is. I have no need for another frog rod since I love the Powell and find it to be perfect. But from the construction of the punch rod Id have to assume that all the rods are gonna be good. Boom Boom knows froggin so Id feel confident with it.