Sign in to follow this  
Thad

Drop Shot Rod with Strong Backbone and Soft Tip

I'm looking for a drop shot rod that has a strong backbone and a really soft tip. I've heard good stuff about GLoomis' DSR822S except that the tip is just a little too stiff. I need a rod that really flexes at the top.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

If anyone uses Shimano's Crucial CRS-DX72M I'd like to hear how soft the tip is and how far down it flexes. I'd also like to know about Shimano's Cumara CUSDX72M.

I use the crucial, for the money it is a great rod, and it does everything I need it. I am the guy who has a whole arsenal or GLX Loomis rods. Great rod. Exactly what you are looking for, and can be used for small crankbaits.

Im a fan of the Powell but the Dobyns is also a great rod in the 702 spinning. Ive caught numerous fish over 8lbs on this rod.

I've got that model Crucial.  It's fantastic.

One rod I was surprised by is the BPS "Extreme" 6'8" ML. They say the action is fast, but the tip is pretty soft. I like it for dropshot, and skipping small finesse jigs under docks. It has a split grip, too, if that means anything to you. I catch them on sale or on return or repair at the outlet store, so I've never payed retail for one, but I would. The butt section has a lot of backbone.

I'm looking for a drop shot rod that has a strong backbone and a really soft tip. I've heard good stuff about GLoomis' DSR822S except that the tip is just a little too stiff. I need a rod that really flexes at the top.

If anyone uses Shimano's Crucial CRS-DX72M I'd like to hear how soft the tip is and how far down it flexes. I'd also like to know about Shimano's Cumara CUSDX72M.

That Crucial is great. You might also want to check out the MH version and decide between those two. The tips are very similar actually, with obviously a little more "umph" in the mid section with the MH.

If you can find one, take a good look at the Team Daiwa Cielo drop-shot rod. 6"10" ML XXF.

I have the one with the titanium tip. The last 10" or so of the rod is not graphite, but titanium. You want a soft tip? This is the one.

This is a very technique specific rod. You want a versatile rod for a variety of techniques? This ain't it. I don't think you'll find a better drop-shot rod that this one. 

Tackle Tour did a review on it. Check it out. I'm not a fan of TT; I think they've lost touch with reality, but I have to agree with their review of this rod.

If you can find one, take a good look at the Team Daiwa Cielo drop-shot rod. 6"10" ML XXF.

I have the one with the titanium tip. The last 10" or so of the rod is not graphite, but titanium. You want a soft tip? This is the one.

This is a very technique specific rod. You want a versatile rod for a variety of techniques? This ain't it. I don't think you'll find a better drop-shot rod that this one.

Tackle Tour did a review on it. Check it out. I'm not a fan of TT; I think they've lost touch with reality, but I have to agree with their review of this rod.

X2 on the Cielo for sure... I have their jig/worm in baitcasting and love it.  As soon as I get the coin I am going to pick up the DSS spinning...Did I mention they use the steez blank for them?  Here is a site where you can get the 6'6 version for 75$  http://www.ohya.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TDCielo

I use the Lamiglas Excel 703 spinning rod and absolutely love it 8-)

I just bought a Lamiglas Excel 702SM spinning rod with micro guides.  It is 7' ML.  I haven't had a chance to fish with it yet, but it seems like it will be an awesome little rod.  I was using a Kistler Magnesium dropshot rod, which was great, but I just felt like it was time to try something else.  I am weird that way. :)

That is the rod I need. After looking at the review it looks to have the exact tip I want. Now I just have to find one and hopefully for less than $300.

I got mine from TW for $135. Daiwa discontinued them, and put "em on clearance.

I'll bet there's somebody out there who bought one and didn't like it. It is very application specific.

check out a denali rosewood 7ft drop shot rod they are amazing i have used the crucial and carrot stix and the denali imo is more sensitive and i have caught spots over 5 lbs on lanier with no problem

Lamiglas made a 701 with a Tenessee handle that has what appears to be the exact action you are looking for. It's out of production and I can't find them anywhere any more.  I have one.  The closest action I can find is the Excel 702S.

I have this rod. Very soft tip with a great backbone. The first time I picked it up I thought there is no way this rod has a backbone, but I was very wrong. Very light rod too. Paired with a Stradic CI4 2500 it is a very sensitive rig. I felt the same as you about the GLoomis. Great rod just a little to stiff up top. Get your hands on the rod before you buy regardless of which one.

One rod I was surprised by is the BPS "Extreme" 6'8" ML. They say the action is fast, but the tip is pretty soft. I like it for dropshot, and skipping small finesse jigs under docks. It has a split grip, too, if that means anything to you. I catch them on sale or on return or repair at the outlet store, so I've never payed retail for one, but I would. The butt section has a lot of backbone.

I'm not a huge fan of BPS' lower-end rods, but that 6'8" ML Extreme dropshot rod is definitely an exception. It has the best tip for floating worms and weightless Trickworms of any rod I have ever used, and I regret selling mine. Nice soft tip with solid backbone, and fully capable of yanking decent fish out of the weeds/pads (see avatar).