Catt - I'm fishing Toledo Bend Jan 19. HELP!

Black Bass

Hey Catt, I'm planning on fishing Toledo Bend with my group on January 19, 2008. We will be fishing out of Cypress Bend Park. I know nothing about Toledo Bend. Are there any cabins, motels, etc. in the area that you recommend? What would you use to fish that area in January? Any specific areas I should try to get to?

I searched your posts on Toledo Bend and found the following.

I try to keep it simple; spinner baits, crank baits and Rattle-L-Traps for the most part. Spinner baits I use a white ½ ounce double willow leaf. Crank baits I look for baits that have a tight wobble to them and the Rattle-L-Traps I use both a ½ and 3/4 ounce each. For me the key is that I want to be able to just tick the tops of the grass and that is what determines the size of baits I use. As for the reels I use a 6:1 ratio for most everything, but if I am going to slow role a spinner bait I may go to a slower 5.0:1 ratio. It makes it easier for me to keep it down on the bottom. As for the line and rods I consider the situation, water clarity, depth and of course cover plays a big factor in what is needed for the situation.

Favorite bait: Texas Rigged Gene Larew 7 ½ Salty Ring Worm Cinnamon Pepper Neon/June Bug Laminated (Camouflage).  

Favorite technique: Deep water structure at night

Personal best: 12 pounds 8 ounces on a ½ oz Rat-L-Trap Red Chrome

Biggest 5 bass stringer: 33.34 lbs

Most memorable: 1974, Joined two bass clubs whose members included John Torian, John Hall, John Dean, Villis P "Bo" Dowden SR, Harold Allen, Larry Nixon, Tommy Martin, & Zell Roland all guides at Toledo Bend's Pendleton Harbor Marina.

May I suggest for boat launch, tent camping, RV camping, rooms/cabins

http://www.pleasurebend.com Ph (409) 579-2210

Six Mile Marina: http://www.toledo-bend.net/sixmile Ph (409) 579-9898

Hillside Inn & RV Park: http://www.toledo-bend.com/hillside Ph (409) 579-3422

Twin Oaks RV Park: email address only twinoaks@sabinenet.com Ph (409) 579-3078

Sportsman: great caf é, vaughnkk@jas.net Ph (409) 579-3292

My personal favorite is Vaughn's K & K (Sportsman) because they are located just across the Six Mile Bridge which is where the public boat launch is, their caf é has excellent cooking at reasonable prices, & their rooms though small are only $28.50 a night. Six Mile Marina has just reopened under new management and I've heard nothing but good things about it.  

If I could email you I could put you on 2 big bass holes that would probably win just about any tournament. Both spots have produced numerous DD bass and a Bass-N-Bucks stringer of 33.34 lbs.