Sign in to follow this  
lv2fish

Spawn in upstate NY

Mid may-june. Last year thats when i found them on the beds, it will change from year to year but mostly this is when theyre out.

I have seen the spawn to be from mid to late may... but i think it might be a little bit later this year, due to the colder temperatures.  When the water reaches 56-58 degrees, the fish should be on their beds.

Syracuse is up alot farther, but my family has a cabin on a lake in sullivan county (near Monticello NY) and I have noticed that pre spawn seems to be alot later in the season. I have gone up at the end of May and it still was snowing. I would say the beginning of June. Hope this helps.

I have seen the spawn to be from mid to late may... but i think it might be a little bit later this year, due to the colder temperatures. When the water reaches 56-58 degrees, the fish should be on their beds.

You spend much time actually fishing in this area? Mid to late May? Sure some fish are on the beds then, but they spawn in waves, and it can/will last from late April till mid/late june. There is no "magic" water temp. around here that puts them on beds, or ends the spawn. I have seen LM spawning in late April in 54 degree water, and SM in late June in 75 degree water, on the same lake. Hows that for "by the book". Moon phase, plays a more critical role, along with warming TRENDS, I fully expect to see bedding bass the next full moon, reguardless of water temps., as long as they are not in the 40's, and have NOT been in the 40's for a little while (2 weeks seems about right, but not always) IMHO thats about the only temp requirment I have seen in my 20+ years of bass fishing in WNY. And I also fully expect to see waves of spawners from now till mid/late june. Through out the finger lakes, to Oneida, Onandaga and all the Lake Ontario bays (Sodus, Port, I-bay, East etc...) this seems to be the case, if you know where to look you will find bedding fish on those lakes for 2 1/2 months, even within the same body of water.

I was just inputting what I have seen on average... I have always based it on the water temperature. Are you telling me that it doesn't have that much to do with the temperature?  How do you go about following the moon phases to determine when the spawn will occur? I have always seen the males to come up on the flats when the water reaches the high 40's to low 50's with the females following shortly after when the water reaches mid 50's. How does the moon come into play here?

Temp has something to do with, BUT, it's not the end-all/be-all factor. There is no "magic" # like 52, 57,63 etc........... as long as the water is warming the bass know it's time to spawn.

I have first hand seen moon phases trigger fish to bed. Go to any area you know fish to bed in, make sure you go check it out before you see/notice any bedding activity, then pay close attention to it as a full or new moon is near, you will see fish move up and bed, like I said as long as the water is warming, and the days are getting longer. There will be no magic temp #, I have seen it happen in low 50 degree water as well as 70+ degree water, and only the fish know why.