Sign in to follow this  
slomoe

My first smallie

Decided to check out bull run off 28 since its so close to my apartment. This was my first time fishing for smallmouth. I wasn't even sure there was anything in there. I picked up some gitzits assorted tubes and some arkie hair jigs. I was tossing one of the black tubes to the right of the bridge before the water runs over the rocks. It would sink and I would just pop and drag it across the rocks and laydowns. One cast the tube sank, then picked up and started running towards the middle of the river. I set the hook and found this lil guy. Not much, but now I know there is smallie about 3 minutes from my place. ;D

MyFirstSmallie.jpg

Sweet job slomoe.  I fished for smallies yesterday at the rap and only managed one all day.  It's getting tough out there.  Go figure as soon as we found all the fish though it was time to leave.  Wife had stuff for me to do haha.  So how far up 28 from Liberia Ave is that part of Bull Run?  I never see smallies at Bull Run down by Davis Ford but hear they are there and can make it that far down.  I would love to try up by 28 though.  Maybe we can hook up sometime since it's close by your place.  Nice fish man, smallies are SO much fun.  And they are alot more colorful than largemouth.  Come to think of it they fight better too.  Put it this way, I'd take smallies over bucketmouths any day.... unless I'm out on the boat haha.

You finally tried it. Good job! It's 10 minutes down the road for me.

Hey Andy man you need to get me out there one day next spring buddy.  I'll be at Mercer tommorrow morning if any of you want to join me.  Me and my dad are going to be there around 7:45... not to hijack the thread, just an invite.

I caught one near 2lbs by that big rocky bluff to the right of the bridge and up and over that hill. Great place to fish sometimes, difficult at others. One time I caught a LMB, SMB, and about a 7lb catfish on the same bait within an hour there.

Thanks guys. the sun was in and out, so I had to keep adjusting. But overall it was a really nice day. Its nice there with all the leave on the ground. I still wouldn't suggest wading.  ;D

I caught one near 2lbs by that big rocky bluff to the right of the bridge and up and over that hill. Great place to fish sometimes, difficult at others. One time I caught a LMB, SMB, and about a 7lb catfish on the same bait within an hour there.

Nice! I think next time I want to try the manassas side of the bridge. Looks like it has better paths.

Nice! I think next time I want to try the manassas side of the bridge. Looks like it has better paths.

Yeah, it does, but be careful, I saw a guy hunting on that side last time I was out.

That is a pretty good place to pull some sizable fish out.  There are a lot more in there bigger then that.  Catch them up to 19+ inches.  You see the key is to put those waders on and go all up and down that stream. ;D  But there may be a boogie monster or two lurking in the deep holes so be careful.  :)    

That is a pretty good place to pull some sizable fish out. There are a lot more in there bigger then that. Catch them up to 19+ inches. You see the key is to put those waders on and go all up and down that stream. ;D But there may be a boogie monster or two lurking in the deep holes so be careful. :)

Next time Im down there Im gonna take a picture of the sign that says not to eat the game fish, because they carry a chemical that has been known to cause cancer.  

Really rig, If it wasn't for your posts I might not have given that place a shot.  

bring some good boots. It can be pretty muddy at places. Good luck.

Well, I went out for an hour on my way back from the car dealership.  Anyway, I fished the right side of the bridge and managed to catch a dink LMB on a shaky head (first on shaky).  I believe the worm was bigger. :)  I caught it about 20 feet to the right where the water starts running over the rocks but across the bank.  I ran into a couple of guys out there and one of them said that he always catches smallies out there on live crawdads that finds under rocks.  Just a quick question though, cause I know 71rig is the one to bring this place to our attention, how far back do you go and what side of 28 has produced the most for you?  The left side has some deep pockets, a good current and lots of laydowns--lots of potential.  I didn't go too far either side but one of the guys said there are some deep pockets out on the left side as well.  

Did I say there were fish in there? I meant to say that this place sucks and had lots of bad stuff in the water and you should all stay away cause it's going to kill you and no dink small mouth is worth that.   You might as well stay home and chase chickens round the yard.    

Actually, the contaminates found in Bull Run are PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls) and mercury.  They are mostly in fatty fish tissue since they accumulate there in amounts measured in parts per billion (to give you an idea of how small that is it is equal to one second in 32 years).  The mercury in water, if even present, would probably be measured in parts per trillion (thats equal to one second in 32,000 years.)   The only risk to human health is through ingestion and unless you are eating the fish (which I do not) you are A OK.  If you look at VA DEQ website you will see fish advisories for most waters in the area.  

As for where to catch these fish?  I can walk about 1-1.5 miles in either direction and slay them.  The farther you go the better it gets.  Just pay real good attention to the deep pools and slack water.  

If you want some real smallie action you need to try another creek in the area that produces real pigs (up to 22-inches.)  But they have a fish advisory on that stream too so I guess I will keep it hush hush.  

Thanks for the information. I believe everyone got confused when you mentioned Bull run on your earlier post.  Thank again for the information and if you have anymore spots in the area please feel free to share.   :)

71Rig, My fear of boogymen and cancer causing chemicals is surpassed only by your sarcastic wit.

I drive over that "secret" creek everday. I also fish the UOSA on a regular basis, but I wouldn't wade there either. ;D

71rig, are you talking about Cub Run? that's the only creek near there I can think of...

Nope, not cub run.  And not that place where slomoe drives over either...  only a few bridges cross this water and that is why it's such a good place to fish.  I would tell you guys but this place is way more polluted then anything you could imagine.  I mean you need saranex coated kevlar waders to go in this water.  I would actually suggest using a nomex coverall under just in case the water catches fire from your reel spinning so fast from the running bronzebacks.

Maybe if you are good Santa will draw you a map.  Till then, don't fear the water and get out there and catch these fish.  Little pressure this time of the year.      

Well the only other creek I can see in that area on google maps is one that comes through Clifton. I've thought about trying that creek before, maybe I'll give it a shot, even if it isn't the one you're talking about.

Funny how some members of the forum are so open about offering spots to other members and others are so protective.