Sign in to follow this  
SimonSays

Yorktown striper fishing? with pics!

Anyone ever try fishing for striper on the bank from here?  I went down this past saturday morning after a tip from a friend.  As I got there 1 guy was leaving with a 40+ inchers and another with a 30+ incher....I tried my luck with a 4inch pearl  shad swimbait and later switched to white but with no luck.  Two other guys were there trying but with no luck also.  When I was about to leave at 11:30am a bunch of people started filing in...looks like a hotspot? I used to fish for croaker here with very good results (2lbers) consistently.  

Are you talking about the pier at Yorktown beach?  I know there have been a few big ones caught there this season.  I haven't fished there since it has been all built up.  You used to be able to park under the foot of the bridge and fish there - maybe you still can.  It was killer at night.   And you used to be able to get passes to fish the piers at the Yorktown Naval Weapons Station.  Again, at night, huge fish were caught.   Night fishing, or extreme early morning is best along that stretch of river.

yep I tried fishing underneath the bridge and near some docks, some guys said that anywhere near the docks is good...

Especially at night, and even more so under lights.  

Hit the stripers up this morning at yorktown, caught around 4 that were on average 2-3lbs, nothing too big, but fun to catch =D Pictures coming soon

Yorktown is down south near Busch Gardens/Water Country USA, from NoVA, you'd probably take 95 South then connect to 64 East (like you're going to VA Beach) then get off at exit 238B (I think) towards Yorktown, PM for more specific directions.