Sign in to follow this  
Micro

Update on a couple of eastern VA reservoirs

In case anyone is interested.

Little Creek Reservoir in James City County is down about 4'7" according to the depth guage on the side of the overflow at the dam. Huge improvement. That's up from being 12' low in October. Over the last 4 weeks, the reservoir has been filling at about 1' per week. The docks are floating again. The islands that appeared are starting to disappear. The vast beaches that formed around the lake when the water receded and the grass died are all mostly submerged now (including the shallow coves that drained). Any area that stayed underwater still has vast amounts of grass. In fact, the water is coming up high enough now to start encroaching into upland grasses that started growing in the sand when the water receded. Lots of minnows in these areas. Looks like there will be lots of bare bottom for beds. Hopefully the concession stand and ramp will open soon - no reason to keep it closed now that it's usable again.

Chickahominy Reservoir in New Kent County is full to the brim. The dam is mostly stabilized - though I was told the reservoir is still leaking 33,000 gallons a day. There doesn't appear to have been the huge weed die-off this year like in previous winters. Still lots of weeds out there. HUGE quantities of baitfish using the coves and grass - more than I've seen in past years. The new floating dock at Ed Allen's should make launching a lot easier this year.  

Things are definitely looking up for these two reservoirs that were so severely affected by the dam breach.

Ed Allen has a new dock?

You mean that I don't have to worry about falling into the water anymore when we launch the boat?

Darn. That was the highlight of going to Ed Allen's to use their ramp.

Yes, they put a floating extension on their dock beside the ramp.   It reaches out almost to the island of vegatation that you have to steer around as you back your boat out.   Ed's is always an adventure.  

These drifting islands of vegatation on the lake are really cool.  One drifted into the inlet where the ramp was and made navigation nearly impossible.  The guy that was running the shop put his huge saltwater boat in and used it to tow the island back out into the lake.  

Once you manage to get out, though, the Chick is an awesome lake.

I'll have to plan another trip there this year. A day exploring that lake just wasn't enough. I just hope I catch more this time than just pickerel. I didn't catch a single bass, but must have caught at least 10 of those toothy little pikelets.

I'll have to plan another trip there this year. A day exploring that lake just wasn't enough. I just hope I catch more this time than just pickerel. I didn't catch a single bass, but must have caught at least 10 of those toothy little pikelets.

Which one?  Chickahominy Reservoir?  That is a pickerel/bowfin filled lake.   But the bass fishing is incredible.  It's one of those lakes where the jon boat has a definite advantage over big, wide tournament boats.