Sign in to follow this  
Hung up Paul

Looking for a "can't miss" weekend in NOVA.

I have a couple buddies in Upstate NY that want to come down here soon and get some fishing in.  They'll only be here for a couple days but we haven't set a date yet.  I guess this question is mainly for the guys who have fished here for years.  When will the best fishing weekend be between now and let's say mid April?  I'd like them to leave with a good impression of the area and have them catch a couple big ones.  We'll most likely be shore fishing, but there's a possibility I'll have a boat by then too.

All input is welcomed!

There are plenty of places to fish however the fishing will still be tuff in March unless we see a big warm up to get the fish into an early pre-spawn. I think you would be better waiting until April for the fish to get into pre-spawn mode. If you can wait until April I would try fishing either Mercer, Huntsman, Burke, Occoquan Resevior or Royal. All of these places should be good to fish in April. I personally have caught my biggest lmbs at Mercer and Huntsman.

If you guys are cool with spending a few bucks you can rent a jon boat and trolling motor at Fountainhead and Lake Ridge on the Rez.  Good fishing at both places.  Like Ron said, if you wait til' early mid-April fish should be in Pre-Spawn mode getting ready to turn on and move to creek mouths.  Follow bait fish and you can get on the fish at either of these places.  Mid to late April they should be moving into arms of the Rez or into the creeks.  

Anything imitating baitfish like shad patterned cranks and Rat L-Traps, spinnerbaits, and curly tailed worms tossed into swirls and blowups should pull out fish.

Alot of guys also pull in fish at the rez using a shakey head setup w/ finesse worm or a carolina rigged lizard or worm (be careful of all the timber/ wood cover here if you decide to do so).

Rob knows most if not all of Northern Virginia's public waters very well, from big lake to small ponds... for the most part... ask him, if he joins you, you make walk away with some cool tackle you've never even seen before, he's been a fishing santa claus to me... Send me a PM if you walk a NOVA lake.  I may join if that's alright...

Guys are right.

Wait for April.

If the guys can put you all in a boat the Potomac is a super bass fisheries.

Put in at Aquia Creek and fish the creek.

Be sure to get your Virginia fishing license, too.

If you go the Potomac route, Sam is right.  Bigger and more plentiful fish here.

The underrated creek is Neabsco Creek.  Has sunken ship wrecks, tons of spatterdock fields (much like lilly pads to throw into), lots of timber, and tons of docks to fish.  Lots of fish, and when they are on top water busting, walk a spook or throw a crank and pull em' in.

Quantico Creek on the outskirts is great for schooling striper almost any time of the year.  Live minnows work well if trolled, cranks, and bucktails should catch you some here.

The best in my opinion though is Mattawoman Creek across from Leesylvania, you can pull in and fish one spot of grass all day with a buzzbait or jitterbug in the morning, or senkos all day.  If your good with a jig or spinnerbait those can pull you in countless fish as well.  Work the mats holes with jigs and t-rigged senkos (weedless), work the outside edges with the spinnerbait and toss the shallow cranks along the weed edges as well.

Tough to get a boat for as many as you guys are talking about, but if you can find a place that rents em' out, my dad and I would be more than happy to take you out in our boat to show you some of our regular spots we catch fairly consistently from so that way you could get back there with your buds.  On average I'd say the fish in Mattawoman probably range from 2-4lbs.  My dad and I caught some pretty nice ones there this year.

I have to agree with Jay, I have had days at Mattawoman creek when I have caught my limit (5 keepers) on swim senkos in approximately 30 minutes and the fish were all in the 2.5lb to 4lb range.  Jay and I have found some sweet spots to fish over there, however it does require a boat to fish those areas.  We usually launch at Leesylvania State Park and I would be willing to bring a third person with us when we have room, my boat only holds three.  That decision is based on my daughter in-law (Jay's wife), she loves to fish and has even kicked mine and Jays butts a couple of times.  If she is up for it, she goes fishing with us before anyone else.