Sign in to follow this  
VABasser

Striper running the Rappahannock?

A friend's dad told me he heard guys at work saying they had gone out and were catching them near the Route 3 bridge off of minnows.  I remember reading the stripers ran the river but I thought it was later in the year.  Anybody got any info on this, is it just a rumor? :-/  If its true I wouldnt mind trying to hook into some

If the Rap is anything like the James or York, there's stripers there year around ('cept maybe the dead of summer). I don't think the big cows have made it into the James and York yet, though.

There might be some small ones, but unlikely... The stripers don't really get to that part of the Rap til early April and don't really peak til late April. At least the bigger ones. The smaller schoolies will peak in Mid May.

Yeah according to the VDGIF striper are in the tidal portions year round. I have only fished the Rappahannock for smallies above the fall line so I have no experience with the stripers. Maybe these guys were just catching stripers that are always in there??

Edit: I guess we posted at the same time cjbs2003.  Hmm, interesting, that makes more sense then having them in there now

I have caught stripers at the Rt1? bridge in Fredricksburg in April when the shad/herring run is going on. Also have caught some smaller ones around Hicks landing in summer while bass fishing.