Sign in to follow this  
JCrzy4Bass

Topwaters in Nova yet?

Hey guys, is anyone in Virginia (northern parts) catching bass on topwater lures yet?  I know that jerkbaits, rat l traps, jigs and cranks seem to be top producers right now but how many of you have actually pulled out a topwater?

I think it's still too early and I was just curious around what time of the year do you guys pull these out and start making use of em'?  I'm figuring post spawn will be about right after the bass come out of their laziness from doing their thing.  Am I close on this?

I have some topwaters I really wanna get going that I'm itching to throw but I know I probably need to wait a while.

If any of you guys have had success can you clue me in on what types of techniques you are using to draw the fish up?

I have heard of bass being caught on topwater after iceout, but there are more productive ways right now like you said.

Try the new lures anyway

You can catch them on topwaters in Central Va, on a calm, warm, sunny day. I've caught a few on a Pop-R and buzzbait this year. I plan on trying it tomorrow near Fredericksburg after I figure out the best pattern.

When you see bass busting the surface after baitfish.

Thanks Vekol.  I need to buy a few poppers to try out soon for that.  I haven't had success with the jitterbug and the buzzbait yet although I've only tried them the couple times I saw good activity on top.  The mann's is killing them though.

Just trying to see if you guys had had any luck.  Best of luck this spring guys.