Sign in to follow this  
Kommizzar

Gaston/Kerr 1st Trip

Hi everybody,  I"m new to the site, and somewhat new to Bass Fishing.  I"m a Retired Navy Chief, who grew up in NE PA now living in SE VA.  I'm used to fishing for Pike, Musky, Lake Trout, etc.  Our Bass Club is having a tournament on Gaston next month and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to fish it.  Early April......

I can't give you much on Kerr/Gaston, but I wanted to say welcome to the site.  I live in s/e VA, too.  

Here are a couple of sites on those lakes.

http://www.fishlakegaston.com/v4/

http://www.kerrlake.info/fishing/INDEX.HTM

Gaston is a great lake in my opinion. It has it all....lots of creeks, rocks, docks, grass, flats, ledges, bluffs, points, stump fields etc....and April/May should be wide open down there. When I was there last April I caught fish on a chatterbait where there was grass with stained water and also caught several fish pitchin' a beaver type bait at whatever I could find.....also caught a few on docks with an *** ***.

Gaston is one heck of a crankbait lake and I have also done really well on jigs there after the spawn and into summer. It really is a lake that you can fish your strengths and most likely do fairly well with it. I wish I lived closer to Gaston, it's probably my favorite lake in all of  Virginia.

Buggs (Kerr) is a great lake also. It fishes totally different than Gaston though in my opinion. Sometimes the fish are a little harder to locate. Buggs is not as deep and it has lots of flats and if the water is down, it is tough to fish. I find myself fishing way offshore alot on Buggs. Its just laid out differently than Gaston but still, there's some good bass fishing on Buggs, some of the best in the state.  

Everything fivebasslimit just said....

The other thing about Gaston is, you can get up in a creek (peahill, lizard) and not leave there ALL WEEK if you didn't want to. There are tons of good fish at Gaston.

Good luck 8-)

What both of them said and welcome to BR. I will be on Gaston 4/12 for a tournament, I will give you a live update.