Sign in to follow this  
JCrzy4Bass

Pony Pasture May 10th

Hey guys. I'm thinking about heading down to Pony Pasture on the James River in Richmond on May 10th for my first smallie trip of the year. If anyone is interested I can fit four in my car and each of us can probably bring one small tackle bag and one rod. I was planning on being there for sun up so probably leaving at like 615am from my place. I can give directions here and we can go together if you are in the Woodbridge/Dumfries/Dale City area or wanna come further to meet up thats fine too.

I know places to park and this is a TROPHY SMALLMOUTH fishery. I love this place. Anyway I know the last outing was actually kind of small and we didn't have everyone there but this is a second chance. I'm gonna assume the water will be pretty cold still and it will be tough to wade but I'm probably gonna try as long as the water is not too high. At least get out to the middle and find some good rock islands to cast from.

Whoever is interested chime in. Let's make this a fun trip. I know my dad's been wanting to go so I'm assuming he can drive car two if we need one (so we can all carpool). Those closer to Richmond can just meet us there if they want. So if anyone is interested in fishing this fantastic fishery, hit me up. We will start getting it together now. We got less than a month for this one guys so let's get it together.

Anyone?

Micro, I changed the date.  You just made me see how I screwed up on my calender, I work that Friday AND Saturday (what I meant to put down), as well as the following Saturday.  May 3rd I will be down in Waynesboro for the weekend fishing on a friends property for trout and smallies.  So yea... May 10th.

Sorry for the confusion fellas.  I double checked and that IS a Saturday.  Anyone?

I'd do it, but the 18th is a Friday and I'm working.  I've been wanting to go back all winter.  

I'm in! the 9th is the last day of finals so the 10th should be a nice day to fish a relax.  I'm definitely down!

I'll be done with school but I don't know my summer work plans yet so I don't know if I'll still be in Harrisonburg or in NoVA. I'll find out closer to the date.

J, if you are going to Waynesboro, let me know if you want to fish somewhere near Harrisonburg or if you want to meet up some other place. Waynesboro is about a half hour from Harrisonburg.

Dan pm me your number.  I'll call you later this week after I talk to my friend and I know exactly where in Waynesboro I will be.  That would be sweet to meet up and do some fishing together.  

Anyway if not, hopefully you'll be around for May 10th.  Later man.  Anyone else in?

You guys got any tips for the Pony Pasture?  I'm down in Richmond twice a week with a lot of time to kill.  Looking for general info, pools, upstream/downstream, parking, sizes of fish to expect?  I will post reports with each trip so you will get a return on your investment  ;D.

You changed the date.

Indeed Micro, refer to first post.  You good to go?

I only fished the parking lot area (wading around there) the last time I went.  Only been once.  I basically was casting a 4" Venom tube in pumpkin, another in watermelon and another in black cherry (Strike King model).

I caught 3 fish in about 2 and a half hours.  I lost another two, go figure the biggest of the group.  I fish it the same as the rap.  Cast upstream and let the bait come back downstream with the current.

The one difference I found to be here is during the summer/early fall the smallies will really sit right inside of whatever grass you find.  Same thing applies as normal smallie fishing too, look for boulders that break current and cast in front of them allowing them to drift by.  I got many bites this day but it was only my second time smallie fishing and missed a lot of them (including the two bigger fish I had hooked).

They jump like crazy!!! Can't wait to get back.

I didn't have grubs at the time but I will try these next time as well as small hair jigs since the water will still be warming up.

Hopefully see you there.

J,

Long time Hoss.  I'd love to fish the James.  If I can make it, I will plan on driving down myself.

71 - Last time I was out that way, I fished the boulders and got good word that Zee Dam is a great place to catch smallies.  Not 100% but I believe The Zee Dam is just upstream from the boulders.  Dude said the catch rate is unbelievable up that ways.  If you do check it out, PM me and let me know how it goes.

I think I may be able to make May 10.  

71 - Last time I was out that way, I fished the boulders and got good word that Zee Dam is a great place to catch smallies.  Not 100% but I believe The Zee Dam is just upstream from the boulders.  Dude said the catch rate is unbelievable up that ways.  If you do check it out, PM me and let me know how it goes.

Will give it a look and let you know.  Will probably get out there sometime mid next week.  Thanks for the info.

So far Andy and I are on board for this trip guys.

Micro, JeJmoe (Josh), Dan, and 71 are all maybes.  Anyone else trying to catch some bronzebacks or what?

Anyone in Woodbridge/Fairfax can feel free to meet up at my place and I'll drive us down.  Don't normally need much smallie gear aside from a small tackle selection, waders, and your rod and reel so...

I can get four in my car comfortably with the gear.  Let me know fellas, the ride ain't that bad and it's worth it to fish a trophy small mouth bass fishery!

Just realized that's a Saturday so count me out.  I will be down there the 6th & 8th of that week.  Actually, I will be down there at least twice a week from now till November and will be trying to fish either the Upper James or the Rap at least once a week.  Mostly afternoons since traffic sucks going south late.

This week I will be on the Appomattox down in Petersburg but will be working and not fishing :(.  

I will post reports as I go.    

Paul (Pkschul) mentioned the idea of a grill so I thought I would post this info that I put in the NOVA Prespawn thread here as well for anyone interested:

I have a two propane tank grill I can bring but it's heavy as all get out. They got a HUGE parking lot there so we could cook out some part during the day if we could coordinate who could bring what as far as food and drinks. Also people can swim here as well, great place for that and for sunbathing and what not (wives, gfs, daughters, whatever). Anyway hopefully you guys can make it down. I'll throw this info in that thread too.

Let me know if anyone is definate for this or not.

You may not see any other spots that are as scenic and riverine as this:

http://www.menko.com/james/pony.html

http://media.gatewayva.com/photos/rtd/special/discoverrichmond/2005/ponypasture/index.htm

If nothing else bring a roll or two of film and your camera, or a digi.  You will be amzed at the wildlife, fish, and surroundings especially this time of year.

Darn, May 10 is the date for the Bon Air Days Hysterical Day Parade and I have to man the LSU Mardi Gras float.

I have a bass club tournament on Lake Chesdin that day too, but the LSU Mardi Gras Float trumps the bass club tournament.

After you all fish the Pony Pasture drive down River Road to the Huguenot Bridge and head West, away from the bridge, and go down to Buford Road.

Turn left onto Buford Road and find a place to park on a side street and see the parade which starts at 11 AM.

Look me up.

I will either be on the float or driving the SUV.

If you show me your XXX's I'll throw you some beads.

lol Sam, that sounds like a lot of fun too. If there were crawfish and Abita involved I might have to make a tough choice.

Dan,

LSU crawfish boil is on May 17 in Richmond at my house.

You can always go to www.lsuva.freeservers.com and sign up to join us.

Lots of great food.

Hey, you can eat like a bass and enjoy it.