Sign in to follow this  
uglystikangler

new to the area and semi-new at bass fishing

Ok so I am 20 years old and I love fishing and I have been doing it for a few years now but I have never really learned anything.

I have never fished for anything specific anymore and I would like to change that. I would like to start fishing for small and large mouth Bass.  I am also new to Northern VA so can someone take me under their wing and give me some pointers and maybe some locations?

Not in your area but will say WELCOME to the forums. A whole lot of info in the articles and tips here. Oh! and the members too ;)...

As Ever,

skillet

Welcome to the forum uglystikangler. I am from Northern Virginia as well. There are many good palces to fish in Northern Virginia. Lake Huntsman, Lake Mercer, Burke Lake, the Occoquan resevior and the Potomac river just to name a few. The bass are biting crankbaits pretty good right now but the fish should becoming more aggresive as we move into a pre-spawn mode soon (couple of weeks). You can also go to the VDGIF website (google: VDGIF) to get information on fishing in Virginia. Make sure you check the Southeast Region section of the forum on a regular basis, there are a lot of great guys that can help you out that are always posting information.

Welcome!  There are lots of NOVA guys here that go out regularly.  Often we'll post where we are going and when.... that's usually a public invitation to join the fun.

alright! thanks for everything so far. i would love to go fishing with more experienced people. i guess what i'm looking for is a sort of fishing mentor. my uncle usually gives me advice and tips but he lives in MA and it's hard for him to show me stuff over the phone.

anymore advice would be great!

also if the weather is nice i would like to get out this weekend.

Welcome to the forum and the love of fishing... Northern VA is full of places to fish, with many already having been named by others. Good luck! I've been fishing since I was old enough to hold a pole, mostly self taught and still have much knowledge to be learned. Enjoy the forum...

Welcome to NOVA and Welcome to Bass Resource! Tons of info here.

Welcome to the forum UglystickAngler!

Maybe after a while here we will be able to share enough information to upgrade you to QuantumAngler, ShimanoAngler, St.CroixAngler or ExtremeAnger ;D

Maybe after a while here we will be able to share enough information to upgrade you to QuantumAngler, ShimanoAngler, St.CroixAngler or ExtremeAnger ;D

Maybe one day haha but right now its that for two reasons.

1. i couldn't think of anything else

2. my pole is a shakespear ugly stick

:)

I think he's suggesting that when you get more into bass fishing you might upgrade to more expensive equipment and change your name to fit it...

I would recomend going to a lake around there and check out the water colow. Is it dark. That kind of thing. Check out the vegetation and look for bait fish. Look for structure. That will give you a better idea of how to fish there.

And welcome to the forums!

Maybe one day haha but right now its that for two reasons.

1. i couldn't think of anything else

2. my pole is a shakespear ugly stick

:)

Oh and dont worry. Ugly Stik is a great company.