Sign in to follow this  
Derek84

Trout - Thanks 2 Wv DNR

Stopped on my way home yesterday and hooked up with this 'bow about 30 minutes before dark with a Shakespeare ultra light and 4lb test. It was a battle.

post-13846-130162940684_thumb.jpg

d**n, it's hard to tell size, but that thing looks bigger than average around here... where did you catch that? and on what? is that a trout magnet?

my best around here was a 23 inch 5LB :o brown about 3-4years ago on a yellow and red panther martin, i thought it was a carp it first, i don't have the pics here but i'll try to remember to post them when i get home, that fish was marvelous

here's my catch not too long ago

Untitled-1copy.jpg

this one is a little bit better than average around here, which isn't sayin' much...

post-8444-13016294069_thumb.jpg

It's a small jighead w/ a gold hook and a creme worm. Works wonders for finicky trout if you don't want to use live bait.

Are you catching those trout in NOVA or somewhere else? I see there are a couple of brook trout mixed into your pic along with the rainbows... I was up in PA this past weekend for their opening day of trout season. Caught over 50 trout this past weekend up there. Lots of FUN!

one brook, two rainbows, and 3 hybrids between rainbows and brooks, they look like rainbows but don't have scales like rainbow the have slime like brooks... kinda wierd i guess it's what happens at the hatchery... yes here in NOVA...

Trev, where do you fish for trout in NoVA? I know they're stocked in accotink but other than that i'm clueless.

Lies! He made me pay for the info! :o

Just kidding!

Thanks Trev for all the great info. I've been lookin into fly fishing (probably a phase) and it's lookin more probable now thanks to your info. ;D

I heard you can catch them down near Columbia pike (of all places!)

Yeah, i've heard of people catchin them out of Holmes Run.  Accotink is crazy though. I see anglers shoulder to shouldder at the dam when it's stocked.

Yeah, i've heard of people catchin them out of Holmes Run.  Accotink is crazy though. I see anglers shoulder to shouldder at the dam when it's stocked.

yeah, I saw that too. People had trashbags full of tiny fish, one guy was even jamming them into a large gatorade bottle