Sign in to follow this  
rondef

Germantown Lake Faquier County Virginia

Has anyone fished this lake? If so, what is the lake like? Does it have a good launch area and boat dock? Have the fish been biting there? If so what types of baits have you had luck with? I am guessing crankbaits and rigged plastics for deep water fishing. Has anyone pulled and LMBs of size out of this lake?

I am trying to decide if I want to launch my boat there tomorrow or just rent a jon boat and trolling motor.

We launched the boat here today and fished the lake for about 6 hours.  The boat ramp here is very steep and the design of the dock is kind of messed up.  They have a set of stairs coming out next to the boat dock which can make it tough to get your boat back on the trailer unless you drive it on.  The water temperature was in the mid 40's, the wind was gusting at about 25mph.  We boated 7 lmbs (JCrzy4Bass boated 6, I got 1), all were under a pound and a half.  We still had a good time and I will most likely try this lake again in the summer.  The one thing that was agravating is some kids that works at the park came up to us and told us that we have to wear our life jackets to fish this lake.  We had them in the boat but it was not good enough for him.

• Like 1

I am semi-dissapointed with the "size" of the fish after the first trip.  My dad and I had heard of some big fish being taken out of here, but when we arrived we actually realized the lake is kinda unbalanced as far as the bass population is concerned.  They have a sign on the billboard by the launch asking anglers to harvest any and ALL largemouth under 14" from the lake.  Not just in one location on the billboard but a couple.  Two of my fish went for 3/4 of a lb, the rest were between 9-10".  Had my dad and I been in the mood to cook we may have pulled some out, but we like to release and would rather not eat bass.

Anyway... all the fish were hitting between the corners and shoreline areas of boat docks and near stumps.  I caught two off of one stump and three of the docks.  Another was caught on a shoreline flat, my dads was caught in the channel of one of the creek mouths casting from the back of the cove to the front.  His was the biggest.  We saw some big fish schooling over by the dam but could not get them to bite after throwing jigs, spoons, worms, etc.

Two of my fish were caught on a KVD Strike King Red Eye Shad with an erratic retrieve, however 4 of the fish were reactionary strikes.  They just slammed it as soon as the bait hit the water.  The lake was fun, but the bite didn't turn on til' mid day.  The water temps here were cold, visibility was about 2 feet if not a little less and the wind/post front conditions made it a bit difficult, but we got on some.  Nice lake to fish for numbers, I'll give it another shot when it wamrs up just to attempt to snag some of the bigger fish during or after spawn but we will see.

I've fished Crockett about 5-10 times and have never done great there.  For some reason I still like going there but I've never seen BIG fish there, the best I've done is 3.5-4lbs and that's it, I've never seen a lunker there from anyone else either.  It's great for crappie catfish and carp but I don't fish for those.  Now that i live closer to DC it's not worht the Gas and the fee to go all the way out there, you have to pay if you're not a Faquier resident.  There is ALOT of sunken Christmas trees and such, but the thing that sucks is the blow the horn for you to come in before it's even dark.

Just for the record its not faquier county it is FaUquier County... But let me tell you about Germantown Lake. This lake has it's good days and it also has it's Great days!!! I have been out there and only caught about 4-5 bass and other days I can catch as much as 150 LMB. I have never caught a SMB here but I have pulled quite a few lunkers out of here. My biggest was a 7lb LMB and for that lake that size is great. Right now the water is still in the mid to upper 50's and you will want to use a Green Pumpkin or Pumkin seed 6-7" worm rigged texas style. When you fish this bait fish it very slow and they will bite. I was out there about 2 weeks ago and I bagged about 35 fish that ranged from 1-4.5 lbs. I rated that day as a good day. If any one would like to go just let me know I have a very loose schedule as I am a Deputy Sheriff for Fauquier County and we work shift work.

Well Nitro, I'd like to schedule an outing with you, if that's possible.  I've fished Crockett, and have never had sucess like that, I'd like to get with you and see how YOU fish it, and where.  I'm assuming by your name you go by way of boat, yes?

Yes I do have a boat and yes it is a Nitro. It aint a brand new one but it works for me. But when are you availible to go?  The last time I was out there they had not started to spawn yet but hopefully by monday they will be. I will probably be going out there then.

Just an update for anyone who fishes Germantown Lake; I was out on Friday and it took me a little while to figure out the fish but once I did it was game on! They are biting on 8" chartruese lizards. The biggest I cuaght was 5.4lbs.  They are up in the shallows where the creek runs in from. just outside of the weeds.

Nitro, congrats on the hawg and thanks for the update.  Did you get a picture of it?

I did on my disposible camera, unfortunately I left my cell phone at home so I couldn't get a pic up online. I didn't think I would do nearly as well as I did due to the conditions. But they are definately hitting!!!!