Sign in to follow this  
Paul Naj

NOVA Report for Saturday

Fished Beaverdam Creek Reservoir today. What a surprise seeing the water level at almost full. It had to have risen 3 or 4 feet in the past 9 days with the pumping and the rain. The floating dock was actually floating for the first time this year.

I'm sure the dramatic rise in water has messed up the fish getting ready to bed but I still did manage to catch 4 nice bucks. I also had a hawg toss the hook on me.

The only fish I found early in the morning were off of an old road bed and ate a rattle trap in 7 or 8 feet of water. I landed one and had a few other hits. As the sun got a little higher I found some fish deeper in the coves. I was throwing a soft jerkbait and landed it near a lone rock sitting by some reeds. After a single twitch the white bait just disappeared from site. I set the hook and my rod doubled over the fish started heading out of the cove and was towing my kayak with her. I saw the fish and it was easily in the 5 pound class. It went deep again for a few seconds and then the line started coming up quickly like it was going to jump so I lowered the rod to the left and the fish quickly turned and the hook came out.

After a quick mental checklist of what I could have done better and taking a minute to appreciate a shot at a good one, I repositioned the yak and threw back at the same rock and immediately hooked and landed one about a pound and a half or two.

The juices were flowing and I managed a couple more on the shadee shad. I discovered some new turf on the reservoir and had a great morning on the water.

I was starting to get down on Beaverdam Creek because of the low water and catching nothing but dinks. I now have confidence that once the water levels off, the weeds start growing and we transition into the post spawn, there will be plenty there to keep me happy. If the water cleans up a bit more I'm sure some site fishing will be in order in the back of the coves. I also found a few deep water humps that will definitely be explored again in the summer.

Nice post, I will be joining you soon out there. We'll have to hook up in June. Getting ready to move, little on the busy side.

Paul, did you get any pics?  I have never been to this lake and may have to try it one day soon.

beaverdam has been great since mid march...  have caught lots of fish between 2-4 lbs. plus this one i caught on friday which went for 4lb. 5oz (it looked bigger than that, i hope my digital scale isn't going bad)

the roadbeds and humps are lovely... have you found the old building foundations yet???

post-14189-130162940981_thumb.jpg

Where do you park to fish this lake?  That way I can google the street and get directions.

Hi Ron, sorry no pics.

You park on Mt Hope Rd or Reservoir Rd in Ashburn. They are on opposite sides of the reservoir. No ramps here, carry and drop only.

Also be very careful about what you leave in your car/truck when fishing there. A guy on another forum whatched as (I'm not going to name a race) broke the window of his truck and stole his stereo and other items. :-/ I to have had issues with these people when they blocked our truck and refused to move.......This is only a problem when the weather is warm/hot. they barbecue and swim/bathe. Last summer there was at least  30-40 of them. Fishing was great!  ;)

i will say that i have seen a game warden there 3 times this year and other friends have seen them there a bunch too so i think they are heavily patrolling this place and hopefully they will keep the crime down...  kids were swimming on friday and the warden showed up just after they left so i'm sure they would have been ticketed had he seen them... don't forget your fishing license, they are out in force

also don't forget your pfd's... i got a citation for that one

Where are the road beds and that bridge I hear about that's under water?

I've been skunked there the last 3 times so I'm determined to get one there :)  I haven't been back since before that week of rain.

I never noticed any problems I been there but then again, I don't have anything in my truck.  The DIGF folks are definately out there.  I got checked twice and each time, the officer walked a long ways to get to us.

Fished Beaverdam Creek Reservoir today. What a surprise seeing the water level at almost full. It had to have risen 3 or 4 feet in the past 9 days with the pumping and the rain. The floating dock was actually floating for the first time this year.

I'm sure the dramatic rise in water has messed up the fish getting ready to bed but I still did manage to catch 4 nice bucks. I also had a hawg toss the hook on me.

The only fish I found early in the morning were off of an old road bed and ate a rattle trap in 7 or 8 feet of water. I landed one and had a few other hits. As the sun got a little higher I found some fish deeper in the coves. I was throwing a soft jerkbait and landed it near a lone rock sitting by some reeds. After a single twitch the white bait just disappeared from site. I set the hook and my rod doubled over the fish started heading out of the cove and was towing my kayak with her. I saw the fish and it was easily in the 5 pound class. It went deep again for a few seconds and then the line started coming up quickly like it was going to jump so I lowered the rod to the left and the fish quickly turned and the hook came out.

After a quick mental checklist of what I could have done better and taking a minute to appreciate a shot at a good one, I repositioned the yak and threw back at the same rock and immediately hooked and landed one about a pound and a half or two.

The juices were flowing and I managed a couple more on the shadee shad. I discovered some new turf on the reservoir and had a great morning on the water.

I was starting to get down on Beaverdam Creek because of the low water and catching nothing but dinks. I now have confidence that once the water levels off, the weeds start growing and we transition into the post spawn, there will be plenty there to keep me happy. If the water cleans up a bit more I'm sure some site fishing will be in order in the back of the coves. I also found a few deep water humps that will definitely be explored again in the summer.

Hey paul Superspook and i were out there saturday morning fishing the north side/dam, was that you with someone else in the green kayak? spook caught 2 with a sinko over the covered reeds/grass in that north east cove right around 620am after that we had 0 luck...i think it will be nice if the water stays up and the grass starts growing in the coves...

Hi Knownfactor,

I saw those guys. They put in just after me and as I was exploring the cove they went north and I ended up going south.

Here's my rig, give a wave if you see me out there. I may try and get out tomorrow. It depends on how long my conference call with Australia goes tonight.

post-13649-130162941001_thumb.jpg

Hit the Res again this morning for a few hours. Nothing big but ended up with 6 fish, lost a few and had a couple other hits. Got them on the shadee shad, buzzbait and senko.

This was the average size fish. This one hit a buzzbait. I had one bigger one on a senko but didn't get a pic because it was bleeding so I got it right back in.

post-13649-130162941005_thumb.jpg

I'd like to try Beaverdam Creek Reservoir.  Google maps shows two access roads, are they the only ones?  I don't have a boat and have not fished there since circa 1983, when there was nothing nearby.   So I will want to park near where I fish.  Any recommendations on locations?

Thanks. :P

There's a third road below Mt Hope Road but I never been there before.  You can access the Dam from the Resevior Rd by walking the path along the eletrical lines.  I'm not sure from the otherside but there seems to be a neighborhood close to it also.  Has anyone parked there before?   I seen the kids walk from that direction before.

I went out there last night and caught my only bite.  A 3-4 lb carp on a shaky head.  At least I'm no longer skunk there hahah.  

Anyone fished Goose Creek by the damm? I hear SMB's are there.

Goose Creek. I live near the area that Goose creek (in loudoun) runs into the Potomac.  I stopped by a canoe/kayak type of launch in Lansdowne to talk to some of the fishermen I saw there and they were hopping.  They were catching SMB and LMB as fast as they could throw their line in.  I was surprised but they said the water was nice and they were running hot.  I hope to get down there this week and check it out before the next set of rainy days arrive.   One of the guys described a kayak that was on the creek.  It sounded like one I saw a picture of here in the forum the other day, but can't find it now. It was a picture of a kayak taken at Beaverdam reservoir.  High seat and two rod holders behind the seat.  I wondered how he did.  The bass were running in other area of Goose Creek too I heard.  Was wondering if anyone else was having luck in the area.  

I keep meaning to hit Goose Creek, but it's tough to find a place to park. I checked out the area around Sycolin road, but everything is posted/no tresspassing. Same goes for access from Belmont Ridge Road.

I might rack my mountain bike and drive to the pulloff off of Belmont Ridge Road and ride the WO&D to that little trail just after you cross Goos Creek. Hide my bike in the woods and walk the bank/wade from there. Anyone done this?

Why not park at BeaverCreek Dam and walk the trail to the dam.  From the looks of good maps, the creek isn't far from it.

That would work for fishing the dam water proper, but I was hoping to find access to the creek both above the dam and a ways below the dam.