Sign in to follow this  
HokieDJ

Laker Mercer 5/4

Went there from 7:45am to 9:30am and got zippo. No bites no nada. Threw shaky head, spinner and Rat-L and nada. Did see a bunch of Carps slapping the water by the shore though. They were huge.

I think that's it for me at that place. It's hard to fish there from the shore with so many snag traps. To be fair, I've only tried it from the side from wagon trail road. I haven't tried the other side yet because I don't know how to get there.

try down by the dam side.

38.741632,-77.257619

those are the coordinates for the deerlee drive parking spot on google maps. You can get directions from there. Don't park by the townhouses, there is a little circular parking lot up a hill from the apartments, park there so you won't get towed.

Mercer is a good lake to fish but it has it's days. You just have to keep casting and you will catch nice bass there. The fact that there is structure in the lake is a good thing. Once you learn the lake you will not loose lures.  The hawg in my avatar was caugh there and released back into the lake.

I plan on hitting Mercer or someplace local to mercer tomorrow morning if  anyone wants to hook-up.  I will be hitting the dam and left bank.  

You may want to try the stump field again. Throw plastics and jigs right next to each of the stumps on the shady side of them. Just be prepared to set the hook quickly as some of the strikes are real quick

Fishing Report.  Those uninterested please ignore.  :P

I hit Mercer today on the stump side.  Stumps yielded nothing but hang-ups.  There are a couple booby traps out there with lost line strung between stumps that took two of my lures.  

I caught three between 1-2 lbs and four dinks.  Hit on a Rapela (sp?) DT crank and pumpkin jig w/ pumpkin craw trailer.  Walked up on one hawg and scared it off.  Learned a new lesson there.  There was another guy there who thought he saw an 8 pounder, but fish stories are always nice to hear.  To paraphrase T, "I love the ones that get away, they're huge!"

I think I may have caught got Ron's one eyed LM.  He's not giving up. I've attached a pic.

BTW, If anyone finds an orange rapela DT crank stuck to a stump, it's mine and I want it back!

post-13709-130162941013_thumb.jpg

Nice, did you fish the stumps where there's a little trail from the pathway when walking from Wagon Trail or up the path where the overflow is and you have to climb down from the path to get to the bank?

I tried both, lost my spinner and got skunked.  

I don't know wagon trail, but I walked down the path with the jon boat that dumps you out by the inlet stream and worked my way around the point.  I hit the trail to move deeper into the stump area.