Sign in to follow this  
JCrzy4Bass

State of Pony Pasture

Anyone know the state of Pony Pasture right now?  I'm gonna look up the water flow, temp, and height on the data page today and try and get an idea.  Is it wadeable yet?  At least up to your knees?

I wanna head down next Saturday and fish it from 7:30am til about 2 or 3.  Anyone interested?  If so let me know and we can plan things out.  Haven't caught a smallie all year and I'm itching.  If folks think it's a bad idea I may just hit Fredericksburg instead and fish for smallies there on the Rap and wade knee deep or so depending on the same factors as the James.

Will post info as I find it.  Anyone caught any smallies from either place yet this year?

Would anyone be down for either or (James or the Rap)?

At Westham it's running 7+ feet according to the NWS.  Westham is the closest measure to Pony Pasture.  

That's pretty high.

The Rap at Fredericksburg is on a downward trend as far as height at 3.10 feet right now.  Water temp is still a bit cold at 62.2 degrees but it is on an upward trend.  As of right now with Pony Pasture that high and I doubt it will get down to normal levels especially with more rain tommorrow and sunday and possibly next week sooo....

As of now I'd say Fredericksburg.  Anyone else down to meet me at River Rd and wade some of the shallower areas adjacent to deeper pools and pockets?  Let me know because I know of some pretty good spots as I wade upstream.  Only for the die hards :)

I'm ready for smallies and can't wait any longer.  So what's it gonna be fellas?  I can drive if anyone from Woodbridge/Fairfax wants to go and meet me at my place.

A few more degrees and it will be wade-able. I've waded in 68-70 and it wasn't too bad once you get used to it, but I definitely prefer more like 75-80 water temps for wading.

I should be able to make the trip, but I can't be certain. Put me down for a maybe. Anyone want to stop by Hunting Run while we're down there? I haven't been to the lake and want to give it a quick look at least. It's not far from the Rapp at River Rd.

BTW, Jay, the Rapidan is almost 70 degrees. It should be a good wade soon if we keep getting warm weather this week...

The Historic James River is "slowing down" on its heavy water flow due to the rains from last week but it is still a little high.

It should be beautiful by Saturday, May 10 if we do not get anymore heavy rains in the James' watershed west of the Pony Pasture.

As for the water temperature...I have no idea.

I drive by the river on my way to and from my house so I see the water levels but I have not stopped to test the water temperature.

Just go and have a good time

AND 1) WEAR YOUR PFD AND 2) FISH WITH A BUDDY AS THE JAMES IS AN UNFORGIVING RIVER.

Smallie action is hopefully ready to rock and roll at the Pony Pature.

I drove by the Pony Pasture and down River Road to the Huguenot bridge and here is what I saw.

Lots of people on the rocks having a great time.

Some people in the water.

River is still high.

Current is still a little strong, even on the Huguenot Bridge side of the islands.

I did not check the water temperature.

So for next weekend you all should be in great shape as the river slows down and the water temperature rises.

Wear your PFD and watch out for each other and have a fun time.

I found out tonight that my son and his wife are riding on the LSU Mardi Gras float in the Bon Air parade that morning so there go the rest of my Mardi Gras beads.

Sorry I can't join you all be I can't wait to hear your report.

Sam, I don't know if whether the plan is still for the James or for the Rappahannock or what, but I appreciate the info.

You all may do better on the upper Rapp.

With rain in the forecast for Thursday and Saturday the Historic James River may not be the best place to fish on Saturday.

I like the Pony Pasture when you can see the rocks and there is a slight current. Throwing an orange head jig with a motor oil twin tail grub can be a a lot of fun along with a small white grub on a 1/64 jig head.

You can catch smallies, bream, bluegills and largemouths at the Pony Pasture if the conditions are right.  It is a great fishery.

Just be careful where ever you all decide to go.

Hey guys, just a heads up if anyone else was interested but this got pushed back to next Saturday, May 17.

I made conflicting plans and had to back out for this weekend.  But right now it's a definate that myself and Sk Mafia will be down there.  I know Dan said he'd be a maybe at this point.  If anyone else is interested pm me for details and I'll let you know where we plan on fishing and where we plan on meeting up.

It's gonna be in Fredericksburg on the Rap this time around.  We will be meeting at 7am and fishing until about 2 or 3pm.

Good Plan B.

River is still high and the Pony Pasture is not safe to fish or swim.

Later this summer it will be a super place and I will try to remember to let you all know.

Have fun on the Rapp.  I will be at our LSU crawfish boil eating those delicious fish baits. ;)